Page updated on 11-21-2017

New Man Porsche 956 references

nugundam93
01-25-2012, 04:40 PM
So I'm currently doing a build of Tamiya's 1/24 New Man Porsche 956, and as I was looking at pics like here at http://60years.autosport.com/?year=1984# , it shows that the rear wheels are mesh-type while the tamiya kit has a 6-spoke rim and should have wheel covers/fans on it. Is the one on the link above correct for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, or is Tamiya's instructions the correct one?

It's just my luck that some of the online references have already dead images (some of them were on lycos, haha). the other similar thread (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1070417) is for senna's car but that isn't the one i'm aiming to complete.

TIA. :)

icon_modeler
01-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Well it's kind of hard to tell what you have referenced because I am not a member of the Autosport website so I can not see the page you linked to. The best rule of thumb to use when doing a model is if the picture reference you are using is a restored car like it sounds like in the Autosport example then it probably is not 100% accurate to use if you want to be fatefull to the period the subject is from. In short try when ever possible not to use pictures of restored cars or cars running at "historical" or "vintage" events. Usually those cars have been modified or changed in some way that renders them useless for period correct reference. There are plenty of places to find period correct pictures. Just do a google image search and see what you get back.

Jenner
01-25-2012, 07:40 PM
The picture in her link (mesh-type wheel) is correct for Le Mans '84.

Here (http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1984/Le_Mans-1984-06-17-007.jpg) they still find another picture.

935k3
01-25-2012, 10:27 PM
The NewMan cars always had BBS mesh wheels. Tamiya just didn't want to mold new wheels for those kits. You can get the correct wheel if you can the parts from their Kenwood 956 which they have made the right wheels. You can also get them from the Tom's Toyota 84C kit. The car did run the White weel covers at times also.

nugundam93
01-26-2012, 05:57 AM
thanks for the clarification. anyway, just a follow-up clarification to your post, 935k3, so they did run wheel covers on all the rims at one point in the race? if so there might still be hope for me. hehehe.

now to find a kenwood 956 or tom's 84c for sale as a last resort... :)

935k3
01-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Actualy most pics from Lamans 84 and 85 do show only front wheel covers. Checkout racingsportscars.com for reference pics for both years.

MPWR
01-26-2012, 11:13 AM
A quick Google of "1984 Le Mans" should find you the highlight video of the race. There's over an hour of footage out there- and it's a great way to get yourself excited to build. :naughty: I haven't watched it all, but it seems that all three Newman cars started the race with the mesh rear wheels, and the winning car #7 finished on them also. Not to say that wheel covers weren't used at some point in the weekend, maybe overnight. It looks like the covers were also not present during the pre-race scrutineering.

The coolest thing in the footage is probably Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason's #16 Canon 956 (which did run with the rear wheel covers). It ran the race with an onboard camera in the left 'seat' of the cockpit. In 1984, the camera was large enough to require a full seat's worth of space- there's a brief moment when the camera rig can be seen through the car's open left side door before the start of the race. How times have changed....

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/JohnBrooks/84%20Le%20Mans/19.jpg

nugundam93
01-26-2012, 04:50 PM
thanks everyone! i've done some searching as per your tips and yeah, the le mans vids showed them running the mesh rears.

i'm planning to just copy the front rim's mesh, file down the rear's spokes so that the recast mesh design can go over the thinned rear spokes. have one molded up in epoxy waiting to cure, hope it turns out good so i can cast the other one as well. and i'm honestly excited to build this as i got the kit old (but unopened) with some water damage, so the decal sheet was quite dirty and the whites had yellowed already. even the rubber tires were degrading to the point that they were so soft, they're probably as soft as the old Group C's qualifying slicks. hehehe. fortunately, the decals were still good enough to be scanned and i just made a reprinted them on a decal sheet.

oh and the canon 956 camera car sure was awesome. :)

Add your comment to this topic!