Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Buying a car for three months

maverick9898
01-25-2012, 04:43 AM
Hey guys,

in the fall of 2012, I hope to spend a semester at an American university in Georgia. Though I am familiar with the United States (I've been to a lot of places plenty of times), I am not a US citizen and not quite familiar with how buying a car works. What I do know, however, is that public transport in the US can be a bit of a pain in the, well you know, especially in comparison to Europe (which where I am from). Therefore I was thinking about having a car, but renting seems a bit too expensive. I am 21 and they'll only rent cars at regular rates to people who are above 25 and even still, it is pretty expensive. An alternative would be buying a car and then sell it again but I don't know if that is a realistic choice. Is it possible to go to a dealership and make a deal like that? What I know about American dealerships is that they have these cars stockpiled and that they are relatively cheap. Rationally, I would think it would be possible to own a car for three months and easily sell it, but I am not sure. What do you think? Realistic or bat-crap crazy;)?

Thanks in advance!

speediva
01-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Well, public transportation anywhere outside of a major city in the US is a pain in the rump. However, I noticed you said you would be in Georgia. If you would be in Atlanta, you can take their MARTA (rail system) to a large number of places. Granted, you do want to be mindful of your surroundings on any public transit system so keep that in mind.

Sure, you COULD buy a car for 3 months, but you are not likely to get the money back out of it when you need to sell it. I can't think of any dealerships that would be so flexible as to let you sell it back to them after such a short time. Perhaps you can contact the University you wish to attend to see if they don't have any ride-sharing programs?

Ray paulsen
01-25-2012, 07:53 PM
I have answered quite a few questions where students travel to the US short term with excellent feed back, 6 months buying is the way to go, 3 months buying is out of the question.

Rent A Wreck is your answer,,, 21 is the magic age,,, Simply Google " rent a wreck Atlanta " email them for further details,,, It would be a good idea to bring along a print out from your present Insurance Co, if you got one it may lower the cost. Should you not obtain the information you're looking for, post them and we will see if we can help you further along
http://www.usedcartips.org/ (http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=915a3ef3a2c7fbe5ff056fd8727a518b&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.automotiveforums.com%2Fvbulle tin%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo%3Dpostreply%26t%3D1074957&v=1&libid=1327542700680&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usedcartips.org%2F&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.automotiveforums.com%2Fvbulle tin%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo%3Dnewreply%26noquote%3D1%2 6p%3D6955312&title=Automotive%20Forums%20.com%20Car%20Chat%20-%20Reply%20to%20Topic&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usedcartips.org%2F&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13275534981401)

maverick9898
01-28-2012, 05:06 AM
@speediva: yes, it is in Atlanta, but since it's Emory University, there is no MARTA in the Druid Hills, at least not that I can see. Plus, I don't know yet where I'll be living (since it is still unsure whether I'll go or not) and chances are pretty big it won't be in the city-centre. It's OK if I take a loss. If I, let's say, buy a car for 5000 dollars and then resell it for 4000, that would be OK for me. I would be driving a car for 300 bucks a month, which is isn't that bad. It's less than a rental anyway. But if they don't take a car back that easy, it pretty much sucks the big one. When I leave, I want my car to be sold. Would be kind of weird to own a car thousands of miles away, without the ability to sell it;).

@Ray: Why would you say that three months is out of the question? Same reasons as speediva mentioned? If not, I am interested in your view on this.
Thanks for your rent-a-wreck tip! I've heard about that before. Do you know if these cars are any good, or they really wrecks? They claim they don't, but perhaps you have some experience regarding this;)?

Thanks, guys for all the info!!

Ray paulsen
01-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Your thoughts in the direction to buy a car for $5000. with DMV cost incl and resell after 3 months for $4000. having had no maintenance issues in the interim period would be a dream come true, don't misunderstand me, it may be possible to even sell at your original purchase price, all I am trying to get across is the odds given the time frame is not with you unless you really got the experience to know a good deal when you come across one.

I mentioned if stay was 6 months buying would be my choice " example " an investment of $4000 - $5000. worst case would be selling at half that amount,,, total cost driving 6 months cost factor " peanuts " now trying to do this with a 3 month time frame is a whole different ball game, you really got to look at all avenue's

If I was in your shoes I would know all conditions and funds needed prior to arrival regarding renting,,, with that amount in mind I would go shopping for a used car and arrive at the most feasible solution.

Yes overall I have had positive feedback about Rent a Wreck, but again there is always negatives,,, here is a link, you be the judge
http://www.epinions.com/reviews/trvl-Transportation-Auto_Rental-All-Rent_A_Wreck/sec_~opinion_list/sb_~1/pp_~1/pa_~1#list (http://www.epinions.com/reviews/trvl-Transportation-Auto_Rental-All-Rent_A_Wreck/sec_~opinion_list/sb_~1/pp_~1/pa_~1#list)

maverick9898
01-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Okay, so how about rates? If I chose a car at Rent-a-wreck how much money would I be spending? Because, weirdly enough, the website doesn't give me rates and I can't find estimates on these review sites.

Thanks again!!!

Ray paulsen
01-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Okay, so how about rates? If I chose a car at Rent-a-wreck how much money would I be spending? Because, weirdly enough, the website doesn't give me rates and I can't find estimates on these review sites.

Thanks again!!!

I guess you and I don't surf the same way on the Internet, let's start with you can email this link for an Atlanta area location to get quote marietta@rentawreck.com ,,, or call toll free

4725 Canton Hwy.
Marietta, GA 30066
Call us toll free today: (888) 926-9294

maverick9898
01-29-2012, 04:33 AM
Already e-mailed;). Unfortunately for me calling isn't toll-free. You wouldn't believe the rates for calling to the US from Europe;). Just wondering what your experiences were...

Ray paulsen
01-29-2012, 10:37 AM
You know, sometime one gets more involved in a question and takes it one step further, since I got free calling throughout North America I made the call spoke with a guy called Lars and knew right away that was a Scandinavian name and since that is my background also we hit it off real well,,, he had not checked his emails yet but will and reply.

Looks like your monthly cost incl Insurance will be a thousand dollars and he will make sure you get reliable late model wheels,,,so now let's assume your total cost will be $3000. with 2000 monthly mileage.

With those numbers in mind and to avoid not ending up with a money pit and considering Insurance is included I think it's a no brainer for a 3 month term.

good luck whichever way you choose

Scrapper
01-29-2012, 11:19 AM
well if you decide to get a car from a dealer make sure you get a car fax because sometimes they don't offer one. another thing if you buy a car from a add in paper ask if you can take it to a garage to have it checked out and they don't want to let you i'd shy away from that car and go on to the next one you find because from a person you buy it as is and your screwed if it has to have a bunch of work to it.

good luck...

kevinande
02-11-2012, 08:59 AM
You know you could just buy a decent beater. Use it for what you need and list if for sale about 3 weeks before you leave. If it does not sell for the asking price just lower it until you do. Or better yet give it to some single mom when you leave. $1000 a month to rent a car from the Wreck place is about comparable to many other rental places. You can buy a decent car for $2500. It wont be perfect, but I bet it will get you from point A to point B.

Add your comment to this topic!