2007 Accord SE front wheel stud replacement

Pawl
01-24-2012, 02:34 PM
I was not able to just hammer the old stud out because the space behind hub is too close to allow it to come out so I cut it off with a metal blade and popped each piece out easily. Now the problem is getting a new one in. I rotate the hub looking for spot it will go in easily keeping it horizontal but it seems every way is going to force it in and it will ruin the threads. The end away from the threads has the wider cap and it prevents it from going into the hole straight. It doesn't appear to be easily accessible like the older Honda's. The way they have fabricated parts in this area makes it challenging. Anyone have a an idea? I am sure I am having a brainfart here and the answer is right in front of me.

Pawl
01-26-2012, 12:32 PM
I figured out that if I took the new stud and ground away about 15% of the circular cap/top or whatever they call it I could get the new stud to line up straight so it could be drawn in. So I actually ground that part ( 15% ) to where it was almost even with the part of the spline that would actually be in the hole on the spindle. When I say cap I mean the end opposite of the threaded stud or the part on the backside of the spindle/hub.
I tried drawing a stud in earlier on a slight angle without grinding it and it destroyed the threads so I could not use it.
With the newly ground stud I used several washers and a lug nut with an air gun and it drew the stud in. I don't anticipate any problems. I think Honda keeps trying to develop newer cars that backyard mechanics can't work on. I didn't like grinding part of this off but when I saw how much work it took the air gun to draw it in I felt very comfortable with how it positioned itself just like the others.

Scrapper
01-26-2012, 01:04 PM
I figured out that if I took the new stud and ground away about 15% of the circular cap/top or whatever they call it I could get the new stud to line up straight so it could be drawn in. So I actually ground that part ( 15% ) to where it was almost even with the part of the spline that would actually be in the hole on the spindle. When I say cap I mean the end opposite of the threaded stud or the part on the backside of the spindle/hub.
I tried drawing a stud in earlier on a slight angle without grinding it and it destroyed the threads so I could not use it.
With the newly ground stud I used several washers and a lug nut with an air gun and it drew the stud in. I don't anticipate any problems. I think Honda keeps trying to develop newer cars that backyard mechanics can't work on. I didn't like grinding part of this off but when I saw how much work it took the air gun to draw it in I felt very comfortable with how it positioned itself just like the others.

i seen this and wanted to let you know all hondas are like that and you have to take hub apart i believe to replace any stud but the way you done it i guess that would work.

DeltaP
01-26-2012, 05:23 PM
IMHO all that grinding, cutting away material at that end weakened the new stud. I wouldnt do that with all of em but one shouldn't make much difference. I see alot of cars running around with only 3 on a 5 stud pattern hub anyway!

Add your comment to this topic!