Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

!996 Passport 3.2 Alternator dying?

NJFrank
01-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Hi.

The voltage slowly drops to 8-9 volts. At which point the radio will shut down then shortly after the entire car. The truck is 16yrs old and does have substantial underbody rust.

I only get a click when trying to restart, but it will start after a rest or jump.

I'm assuming the alternator is the issue ( I have eliminated the battery as the fault).

Just wanted to get others opinions. I just need this thing to survive another 6 months hopefully.

171k miles 3.2 automatic

Thanks

amigo-2k
01-23-2012, 10:35 PM
You might want to check where the battery grounds too (I think it grounds to the engine block).

If you need a cheap alt, buy a used one. Find a local junk yard car-parts.com or ebay.

ricebike
01-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Frank, sounds like it ~alternator should be charging at ~14.5 Volts

possible worn brushes inside; remove and have it bench tested for free at a local parts store like autozone or advance autoparts

few salvage yards with a lifetime warranty on the part are good alternatives to parts' stores remanufactured alternators

good luck!

NJFrank
01-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Frank, sounds like it ~alternator should be charging at ~14.5 Volts

possible worn brushes inside; remove and have it bench tested for free at a local parts store like autozone or advance autoparts

few salvage yards with a lifetime warranty on the part are good alternatives to parts' stores remanufactured alternators

good luck!

Hello fellow jersyite (is that what they call us). i picked up a junkyard alternator and right now it;s not working out too well (but I ca bring it back if need be). PITA though to have to take it back out again.

I'll look into the autozone thing, didn't know they would bench test an alternator. Right now just have to get it done before the weather turns bad.

Thanks

ricebike
01-25-2012, 03:55 PM
. i picked up a junkyard alternator and right now it;s not working out too well (but I ca bring it back if need be). PITA though to have to take it back out again.

I'll look into the autozone thing, didn't know they would bench test an alternator. Right now just have to get it done before the weather turns bad.

Thanks

that is a PITA... take both of them to the local parts store, I dunno if they're near you.

I vaguely remember if Strauss Auto, PepBoys, maybe NAPA still have bench testers at their parts counter (doesn't hurt to look them up / give em a call before venturing out there)

that way if those 2 alternators are tested "good" on the bench, you can start looking at the wiring instead:runaround:

good luck, fellow Jersean

Add your comment to this topic!