Page updated on 11-18-2017

SMS carbon fiber decals

is250
01-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Hi All,
happy new years to everyone. A few questions on scale motorsport decals. I had recently purchased a CF template set for a tamiya peugot wrc kit. the decals shatter and disintegrate when removed from water and attempting to position them (they break apart just sliding off the backing paper).

Has anyone else had this problem?
Is there truly a shelf life? (these were purchased 2-3 months ago from hlj.com)

Any solutions?
Any ways to prevent this from happening?
Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

regards,
Saurabh

935k3
01-19-2012, 11:25 PM
They are old stock. Make a copy of the template before you use any more. Buy some new sheets. The new sheets come in packaging like this;
http://www.bnamodelworld.com/images/medium/scalemotorsport/SMS7009_MED.jpg
versus the old stuff that looks like this:
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/rh/images/galleries/articles/180-279/8093/gallery_16171/photos_1223398888.jpg
Notice on the old style the flaps on both side cover part of the decal. The new stuff is good. Somehow you need to know what your getting. Have a hobby shop order some and see which one it is.

lezdep
01-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Same issues as yours with old decals. Got fresh ones and they work great. You need to buy fresh decals.

countach79
01-20-2012, 03:06 AM
i had the same problem with there carbon decals

i emailed them and emailed them about the problem and got absolutely no response

i refuse to use any of there products due to there arrogance

when your paying AU$15-$18 per sheet and it happend to all 4 sheets!! too expensive!!

Tibi Keke
01-20-2012, 04:04 AM
Befor you use this old SMS decals, try to aplly with a paint brush a coat or two from this stuff :
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MI-12&Category_Code=FINPROD&Product_Count=6

I have this stuff and is good.

ChillyB
01-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Yes, I've also had this problem. And, yes, it is due to the age of the sheets. But, no, don't just buy new ones. I've e-mailed SMS directly about three different problem sheets and each time they've been very good about replacing them. Take pictures of the problem decals and e-mail SMS. Also, you can spray clear (I use TS-13) over the sheets and then they will work reasonably well.

That said, the most recent carbon fiber decals I've used from SMS work almost like magic. They are unbelievably great!

MidMazar
01-21-2012, 12:19 PM
I had this problem before also but mat at sms was kind enough to help me out by sending me a new set. I would buy sms products right from their sight and not third party.

countach79
01-21-2012, 05:14 PM
I had this problem before also but mat at sms was kind enough to help me out by sending me a new set. I would buy sms products right from their sight and not third party.

i wish he was as helpful with me as he was with you

4 or 5 emails with not 1 response i think is very bad customer service and is enough for me to never use sms products again

racer93
01-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Befor you use this old SMS decals, try to aplly with a paint brush a coat or two from this stuff :
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MI-12&Category_Code=FINPROD&Product_Count=6

I have this stuff and is good.
You can also use a thin airbrushed or hand brushed coat of future to keep them together. I've used it a bunch and it made the decals like new..

jayll
01-22-2012, 01:30 PM
You can also use a thin airbrushed or hand brushed coat of future to keep them together. I've used it a bunch and it made the decals like new..

How does this work on complex shapes when a lot of micro set and micro sol is used?

racer93
01-22-2012, 01:43 PM
How does this work on complex shapes when a lot of micro set and micro sol is used?

Doesn't affect it. It's not going to make it "stiff". We're talking a very thin coat, so the decal acts pretty much the same. I haven't noticed any difference. I used it on my '08 Yamaha M1 I did and didn't have any problems at all, even using Microsol and a hair dryer. FWIW, I used the 'hi def' SMS decals.

jmtomservo
01-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Doesn't affect it. It's not going to make it "stiff". We're talking a very thin coat, so the decal acts pretty much the same. I haven't noticed any difference. I used it on my '08 Yamaha M1 I did and didn't have any problems at all, even using Microsol and a hair dryer. FWIW, I used the 'hi def' SMS decals.

Does this mean you've had positive results using Micro-Sol on SMS decals? In the SMS video tutorials they say explicitly not to use it (and use only Micro-Set).

racer93
01-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Does this mean you've had positive results using Micro-Sol on SMS decals? In the SMS video tutorials they say explicitly not to use it (and use only Micro-Set).

Really, I don't know why Matthew says that. For me, micro set does NOTHING to their decals. It's like putting water on them, especially the hi-def ones. Now, you have to be more judicious in your movements and touching of them when using sol. However, it's my go-to juice. I have used it for years with them and had great results. Just ask anyone who has seen my work. :naughty:

Add your comment to this topic!