Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

wont run

khoover
01-19-2012, 06:45 PM
i have a 91 1500, did a complete tune up on it , 2 days later it wouldnt stay running, i had to put gas in t.b. to get it started then it would stay running, after a while it would sputter then shut off, ive changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor button, coil, iac, coolant temp sensors, fuel pump, new throtle body, and it wont start up unless its warm, then it sputters, falls on its face and will die, it will start back up but run like crap for about 30 secs., also replaced fuel filter, any help would be great, its nicle and diming me

Schurkey
01-20-2012, 02:17 AM
i have a 91 1500, did a complete tune up on it , 2 days later it wouldnt stay running, i had to put gas in t.b. to get it started then it would stay running, after a while it would sputter then shut off, ive changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor button, coil, iac, coolant temp sensors, fuel pump, new throtle body, and it wont start up unless its warm, then it sputters, falls on its face and will die, it will start back up but run like crap for about 30 secs., also replaced fuel filter, any help would be great, its nicle and diming me
What is the fuel pressure?

Does fuel spray from the injectors during cranking?

Was the old fuel filter plugged (can you easily blow through it?)

My suspicion is that the fuel pump is defective--but further testing is needed.

2000CAYukon
01-21-2012, 05:21 PM
The signal to fire the injectors comes from the ignition module. Since you just changed the cap and rotor, make sure the connections at the ignition module are good and clean.

You need a special tool to check fuel pressure on the TBI trucks. Hopefully, it is just a loose connection at the ignition module.

//2000CAYukon

blacktiebowtie
02-06-2012, 03:18 PM
the special tool can be found at most parts stores and only run you about 40bucks.... also it is a great too b/c usually it is a multi purpose tool for any fuel pressure problems on any vehicle....good tool to have.

Truckbuck
03-13-2012, 12:51 PM
In case you were wondering if your fuel pump is working (What is happening with you is the same stuff that happened to me when my fuel pump died) you can just disconnect the fuel filter to the line that goes to the tank and put your key to the ON position, and if gas doesn’t come out then something is wrong with your pump, from there you can check the relay but I don’t hear those breaking very often.
good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!