Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil ran out on Explorer

bobinkski
01-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Hello, I am mostly on the Windstar forum, but I need some input from the Explorer side. What happened is this. My brother took his Explorer to have the oil changed, and driving home he told me it didnt sound right. He got home and his wife took the truck to the fittness place and back. When she got home she said the oil light is on and there is smoke and a loud noise. My brother (owns the truck) called the service center and told them what happen. They came out and towed the truck and insepected and scanned for codes? They changed the oil and said the truck is OK. The reason for the oil leak or blow out was a bad oil filter. Me, I having a hard time beleiving a bad oil filter, or did they use a cheap filter. The brand of filter I do not know. I asked my brother how did they inspect it? and scan codes for what? He did not know. When he told me that the service center (NTB) told my brother about the faulty oil filter, I said, thats putting the blame on to some else. NTB dose not want to take responecibilty. I told my brother that the bearings and cylinders could be scored. What I would like if anyone has any input reguarding what has happened would be great.

shorod
01-15-2012, 03:41 PM
What you describe sounds very much like what could happen if when they removed the old oil filter they did not confirm that the old filter gasket came off with it. If they left the old gasket on, then installed the new filter, it will puke oil out like what you describe. It may happen right away, it may happen in several feet, or I suppose it could happen after several miles.

It sounds like he needs to have a discussion with his wife and express to her that when the oil light comes on in any vehicle, she NEEDS to pull over safely and shut off the engine. If the filter was the problem (cheap filter, double gasket, or left loose), sure there's some negligence on the shops part. If his wife kept driving the truck after the light came on, there's negligence on her part.

-Rod

virgamanda
01-17-2012, 09:22 AM
I am a manager at a quick lube, the shop is responsible if it is proven that engine failure was a result of improper oil filter installation. Even if if the oil filter was defective, they would have to work with their distributor to pay for your motor. The only way they can get out of this, is if there is a disclaimer on the invoice that instructs the cars owner to pull over immediately upon noticing/hearing a problem. But at a minimum they are half responsible and I would pursue this. It sounds to me like the filter was double gasket-ed or wrong filter installed.

aleekat
01-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Years ago as a young kid, changed my oil. Actually drove it about 2 months before I lost all the oil. Double gasket.

bobinkski
01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys. The double gasket happened to me on my 1976 Grand Prix, and when I started the car, 5 quarts of oil on the ground. The truck being my brothers, dont really know how long the oil light was on. But yeah everyone should be aware about the light and if it turns on. pull over!

Add your comment to this topic!