Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Air bubble?

tkswan
01-14-2012, 02:10 PM
02 LS V8 - 147k miles.

When the car is running down the highway, or moving with the rpms up, the heat is good. When I get to a stop sign or red light...the air turns cold. Thinking it was an air bubble in there somewhere, I had it pressure once and it didn't change. This time I had the thing professionally flushed. Still no change. The thermostat is good, it warms up normally. No other symptoms. All ideas welcome and greatly appreciated.

joegr
01-14-2012, 08:36 PM
02 LS V8 - 147k miles.

When the car is running down the highway, or moving with the rpms up, the heat is good. When I get to a stop sign or red light...the air turns cold. Thinking it was an air bubble in there somewhere, I had it pressure once and it didn't change. This time I had the thing professionally flushed. Still no change. The thermostat is good, it warms up normally. No other symptoms. All ideas welcome and greatly appreciated.

It's your aux pump.

tkswan
01-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Thank you for the reply but can you tell me more about this aux pump?
whats its purpose?
where is it?
can i test it?

joegr
01-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Thank you for the reply but can you tell me more about this aux pump?
whats its purpose?
where is it?
can i test it?

Purpose = enable the heater to work when the engine is at idle.
Where = Right side of the radiator, just above the DCCV (it's below the DCCV on gen II).
Test = With the car warmed up and the heat turned on, carefully grab the body of the aux pump and see if you can feel the pump motor running.

mvansant
01-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Purpose = enable the heater to work when the engine is at idle.
Where = Right side of the radiator, just above the DCCV (it's below the DCCV on gen II).
Test = With the car warmed up and the heat turned on, carefully grab the body of the aux pump and see if you can feel the pump motor running.

What is the exact name of the aux pump? I am trying to find the part and I am having problems locating the correct one. Any ideas where a cheap one can be found would be great help.

Mark

shorod
01-22-2012, 10:29 AM
What is the exact name of the aux pump? I am trying to find the part and I am having problems locating the correct one. Any ideas where a cheap one can be found would be great help.

Mark

Do you have the V6 or the V8? The auxiliary pump is only on the V8. On the V8 it is located in the coolant path between the thermostat housing and the DCCV.

-Rod

mvansant
01-22-2012, 10:32 AM
V8 2002.

danielsatur
01-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Also do a coolant bleed procedure on the heater core with the heat on high, and with a little RPM's
The little black hose with plastic screw next to the aux coolant tank is used to work out any air from the heater core.

Add your comment to this topic!