tranny noise

norteno
01-14-2012, 01:36 PM
1997 ram 1500 4x4, 156,00 miles, 46re auto trans. I got trans code for governor pressure sensor and I replaced that and solenoid. Fluid was pretty bad and thick and dark, sludge on bottom of pan and filter bad too. Cleaned and changed all that properly and filled with ATF 4. Check engine light went off by itself and I could feel improvement. It does, however, make a metallic popping or pinging noise when driving cold. It seems to come from underneath and from trans pan area. It happens only when driving and accelerating when cold. I've revved engine in park and no noise. It is sometimes one to three consecutive pops/pings but it can be up to 5-6 in rapid succession. It stops when engine is at full operating temp. Double checked fluid level and it is fine. Any ideas anyone? Thanks for any input. I like this truck and I like this site, thanks again!

jamesslcx
01-14-2012, 07:58 PM
norteno, possibly the torque converter.? Are you going to change the fluid again in a few months? 46re is a tough tranny, good luck.

norteno
03-03-2012, 11:43 AM
thanks for the response and sorry for getting back to this forum so late. After about 2-3 weeks, I changed about half of the fluid again. I heard that changing all the fluid like with a flush removes some of the grit/friction material and may actually cause tranny to go out. Is that true? The truck still makes the sound but only in lower speeds (20-40 MPH). I can also feel some delay in shifting while it is popping but when I step on gas, it does not pop and accelerates fine. At hiway speeds (50-70MPH), it also seems fine. What are some symptoms of torque conveter malfunction? thanks again.

jamesslcx
03-05-2012, 09:19 PM
norteno, i have heard some bad stories about tranny flushes. I have changed the fluid in neglected transmissions before and had no problems so I guess a lot depends on luck. If I remember right some symptoms of a bad torque converter are loss of power, slippage, noise and shuddering . Hope this helps.

norteno
03-06-2012, 02:11 AM
yea, I'm not gonna risk it by messin around with a flush. I think I'll change another quart or too again like you said in earlier and hope for the best. I think I'll start focusing on torque converter. can I just change the converter or do I have to replace tranny too? Thanks for replying.

jamesslcx
03-06-2012, 01:02 PM
yes, despite what people say you can just replace the converter. If the transmission feels right otherwise, I would also check out the aftermarket for a higher performance converter if you are interested, might as well get a little extra performance and tranny life for close to the same price. Good luck.

norteno
03-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Yea, thanks. The tranny does feel right and otherwise responsive. I cleaned the throttle body about four months ago and that really helped with idle and acceleration. I will check into after market torque converters and continue to research symptoms. This is a good truck and I don't want to give up and I also don't want to break my bank on repairs. This weekend I'm gonna change out 1-2 more quarts of ATF 4 and see if it improves any. I am realistic and not looking for any miracles in a bottle, just some good sound advice and direction and you gave it man! Thanks for the encouragement, I needed it and I will update! :thumbsup:

norteno
03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
I changed out about a quart and a half of transmission fluid (ATF+4) on Saturday and the strange popping, tapping, clicking noise I first reported on this post decreased significantly. Maybe I'll wait another month or 1000 miles more and change another quart. I still get some slipping so I'm still researching and considering a new torque converter perhaps. Thanks jamesslcx! You are a master!

jamesslcx
03-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Norteno thanks for the compliment, I wish it were true anyway good luck and let us know how it goes.

norteno
03-31-2012, 09:18 PM
2 weeks of driving city and hiway I put on about 900 miles or so and that sound is 95% gone but still some slipping when starting out from a stop. I may change another quart at a time until it stops completely. The truck has real quiet and smooth idle and good acceleration otherwise. I been reading about adjusting transmission bands. Any experience on this? Thanks again.

jamesslcx
04-01-2012, 12:26 PM
I know adjusting the bands helps on the older ones, it's something that most people, me included seem to forget about. I'm glad yours is doing better.

norteno
06-23-2012, 10:56 PM
so far so good. The noise is gone and the truck accelerates decent and goes thru the gears good but has some minor slippage I guess I can live with until I decide to attempt the band adjustment, but I notice that after I leave it sit for about two weeks or so, tranny fluid leaks out from around under pan area it looks like. About a half a pint or so just comes out. Any ideas on this one ??? The bolts around the pan aren't wet but I see drops of fluid on some other undercarriage parts but can't pinpoint where the leak is. I never seen it come out but notice a pool under truck after about two weeks of sitting in garage.

Add your comment to this topic!