Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need plenty of questions answered for 85 monte carlo 4.3L v6 TBI. Any help appreciated.

GF74
01-13-2012, 02:50 AM
Bought Monte with 4.3L. Would start but not driveable. Previous owner ran it to ground. Had crank replaced and will now run but still shoddy. Slowly trying to fix and fine tune it but Hayne's book only shows so much. Wires were loose, cut, hoses not attached. Don't know what previous owner did to motor.Can anyone send close-up photos of similar engines so I can compare wire/hose/part placement, etc.

Some questions are:

1- Where does exhaust heat valve (vacuum supply line) connect into? EHE is on exhaust pipe but vacuum line is missing so dont know where to start. Book says vacuum power actuator? But where is that? Is that on passenger side by heater hoses? If so, mine has something else attached.

2- Cannot find trunk light switch. Sounds stupid but true. Looked in obvious places around inner trunk and nothing. Checked around trunk hinge and didn't see it.Where are these located? Just saw that light never turned off. Had to unplug battery because it would always end up dead.

All help is welcomed. If these get solved I'll post next questions. Pictures would go a long way. Don't know much about cars but I'm learning as I go.

j cAT
01-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Bought Monte with 4.3L. Would start but not driveable. Previous owner ran it to ground. Had crank replaced and will now run but still shoddy. Slowly trying to fix and fine tune it but Hayne's book only shows so much. Wires were loose, cut, hoses not attached. Don't know what previous owner did to motor.Can anyone send close-up photos of similar engines so I can compare wire/hose/part placement, etc.

Some questions are:

1- Where does exhaust heat valve (vacuum supply line) connect into? EHE is on exhaust pipe but vacuum line is missing so dont know where to start. Book says vacuum power actuator? But where is that? Is that on passenger side by heater hoses? If so, mine has something else attached.

2- Cannot find trunk light switch. Sounds stupid but true. Looked in obvious places around inner trunk and nothing. Checked around trunk hinge and didn't see it.Where are these located? Just saw that light never turned off. Had to unplug battery because it would always end up dead.

All help is welcomed. If these get solved I'll post next questions. Pictures would go a long way. Don't know much about cars but I'm learning as I go.

I would go to a scrap yard where they have a vehicle like this. the engine in other similiar vehicles of this vintage will be the same.take pictures of the component locations and make a vac hose diagram.

the heat riser on the passengerside up here rusts out in a short time. rather than fix it I would just use a s/steel wire and lock it in the full open position..

just remove the trunk light bulb. until you visit the scrap yard to figure that out.

you will learn much at the scrap yard.

Add your comment to this topic!