Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Blazer undiagnosed problems. wont start at all.

qsmith
01-12-2012, 10:44 AM
While driving I had my interior dash light flickering at me, then they all cut out and the vehicle died. This happened 3 times, all 3 times it started back up right away. I took it into the shop and they said I needed a new alternator. After putting in a new alternator myself the same problem was still happening.

I drove it around for 30 minutes or so, and it died one time just like before. When I tried to start it up the next day I have absolutely ZERO power to anything. I tried to jump it, tried to charge the battery up and still nothing at all. Any ideas as to what might be the problem? Thanks for your input.

Rick Norwood
01-12-2012, 04:52 PM
If you have ABSOLUTELY no power to anything, no lights, no radio, no horn, etc. A good place to start is the Battery Cables. Make sure you have good clean connections ON BOTH ENDS OF BOTH CABLES. If you notice corrosion in the wires, you might need new cables.

Also, In order to help you, please include your engine size, you said it is a 2000 Blazer, so I assume it is a 4.3L V6, is it 2WD or 4WD?

qsmith
01-13-2012, 10:41 PM
I have checked the cables and they are all good. I think maybe this is just an old battery and is completely shot, so I am putting in a new one tomorrow. Yes it is a 4.3L V6, 4wheel drive, 4door

Tech II
01-14-2012, 08:47 AM
The first thing you should have done, was put a voltmeter across the battery...should read 12.6 volts....

Then get a reading with the key in the crank position......if the battery voltage drops real low, even jumping with another battery won't do you any good......need to replace it....then once vehicle starts, check the charging system.....

qsmith
01-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Upon second inspection today, the - terminal was not making a proper connection. The battery was still four years old though, so I replaced that anyway.

After starting it up, it still died on me one time, also had a hard time firing up. Checked the fuel pressure and it read at 60+. Also, can hear the fuel pump starting up every time with the key in the on position so I think the fuel pump is fine.

My dad helped me replace the starter switch inside the steering column, he said that can cause problems like I was having. Once the new switch was in place it fired right up no problem and has been running fine. We will see if this fixes it completely or if something else comes up. Thanks for the help.

ken_man_1
01-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Upon second inspection today, the - terminal was not making a proper connection. The battery was still four years old though, so I replaced that anyway.

After starting it up, it still died on me one time, also had a hard time firing up. Checked the fuel pressure and it read at 60+. Also, can hear the fuel pump starting up every time with the key in the on position so I think the fuel pump is fine.

My dad helped me replace the starter switch inside the steering column, he said that can cause problems like I was having. Once the new switch was in place it fired right up no problem and has been running fine. We will see if this fixes it completely or if something else comes up. Thanks for the help.

I had the same exact problem as you, and replaced the ignition switch. Going on 4 years now...good to go.

Add your comment to this topic!