Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

ign switch replacement

mishalah
01-11-2012, 07:04 AM
Have any of you replaced your ignition switch (not the shop, you yourself)?

Did you (can you) change just the wiring component without changing the key/tumbler?

What happens to the key remote and other security related components?

tempfixit
01-11-2012, 07:51 AM

Did you (can you) change just the wiring component without changing the key/tumbler?

What year is the vehicle??

mishalah
01-11-2012, 01:59 PM
What year is the vehicle??

2005 Suburban 1500 LT awd/tow pkg/etc.

j cAT
01-11-2012, 02:05 PM

you talking about the lock cylinder or the ignition switch ?
ignition switch will not affect key or security.

If the lock cylinder is giving you problems go to a auto lock smith..

the switch is on the steering collum down low

mishalah
01-11-2012, 02:11 PM
you talking about the lock cylinder or the ignition switch ?
ignition switch will not affect key or security.

If the lock cylinder is giving you problems go to a auto lock smith..

the switch is on the steering collum down low

I'm thinking about replacing the switch...not wanting to replace the key or tumbler. After replacing the TCC solenoids and inner harness to get rid of a P2761 code...and having it come back even tho the tranny shifts fine...I will try the ignition switch solution that has worked for others.

j cAT
01-11-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm thinking about replacing the switch...not wanting to replace the key or tumbler. After replacing the TCC solenoids and inner harness to get rid of a P2761 code...and having it come back even tho the tranny shifts fine...I will try the ignition switch solution that has worked for others.

the switch is not specific to your vehicle..just a switch. locate and replace the old switch with new ..you have a rod that connects to it from the locking key cylinder.

mishalah
01-11-2012, 07:47 PM
the switch is not specific to your vehicle..just a switch. locate and replace the old switch with new ..you have a rod that connects to it from the locking key cylinder.

Good. It does look like a "plug and play" type of part, doesn't it. ;)

Thanks.

mishalah
02-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Need to revive this for the moment. My son was looking for the location of the switch ('05) but didn't see it on the column. It was late and getting dark, but he thought it might be up at the top. If it's down on the column, where exactly should I find it?

mishalah
02-10-2012, 12:33 AM
First, the switch, according to reference pdf's I have is directly under the key lock, and on the top of the column under the cover in front of the steering wheel. That said, it appears the plastic cover is held together with some kind of odd fastener...not anything that can be unscrewed with any normal tool from the access holes underneath.

SO...how the heck do I get the cover halves apart so I can access the switch? I disconnected the battery, but are there some security components that might disable my truck if the process isn't done right?

j cAT
02-10-2012, 09:45 AM
First, the switch, according to reference pdf's I have is directly under the key lock, and on the top of the column under the cover in front of the steering wheel. That said, it appears the plastic cover is held together with some kind of odd fastener...not anything that can be unscrewed with any normal tool from the access holes underneath.

SO...how the heck do I get the cover halves apart so I can access the switch? I disconnected the battery, but are there some security components that might disable my truck if the process isn't done right?

yes this vehicle has the ignition sw under
/ next to the lock cylinder. it is a tough one to get at . the screw I believe your refering to is an inverted 4 mm torx.

its a tricky job especially if the sw gears are not set correctly. disable air bag before working it as well as the battery ground .

mishalah
02-10-2012, 04:17 PM
yes this vehicle has the ignition sw under
/ next to the lock cylinder. it is a tough one to get at . the screw I believe your refering to is an inverted 4 mm torx.

its a tricky job especially if the sw gears are not set correctly. disable air bag before working it as well as the battery ground .

Now the drawings I see show the steering wheel removed, and along the way there is some command to do so. I cannot see why that is necessary just to R&R this switch. However, I also see that there is info to R&R the ignition keyset, which requires aligning the gear on the ignition switch, the keyset, etc. I can understand that, but if I only want to R&R the elect. switch from the connections, and the keyset and column are not moved, why would it (or would it) be necessary to mess with the keyset at all? Shouldn't that ignition switch just pull down and out, then reverse to reinstall?

j cAT
02-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Now the drawings I see show the steering wheel removed, and along the way there is some command to do so. I cannot see why that is necessary just to R&R this switch. However, I also see that there is info to R&R the ignition keyset, which requires aligning the gear on the ignition switch, the keyset, etc. I can understand that, but if I only want to R&R the elect. switch from the connections, and the keyset and column are not moved, why would it (or would it) be necessary to mess with the keyset at all? Shouldn't that ignition switch just pull down and out, then reverse to reinstall?

I do not believe that the lock cylinder or the steering wheel need be removed. just the covers so that you can get access to the switch. it should slide out. I saw some pictures on line showing some of this.

mishalah
02-28-2012, 06:00 PM
OK..replaced the switch yesterday. Easy removal of the tilt lever and then the lower column shield. The switch replacement was easy, but the sheild was a beotch to get back into exact position. But.....new switch did not seem to solve the problem as the 2761 code came back quickly. Gotta be a power interruption somewhere in that full circuit.

Levithan9
03-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Check out these postings....

PCM Harness
- THIS PROBLEM WILL PROBABLY BE A COMMON OCCURRANCE. VEHICLE CAME IN WITH CHECK ENGINE LIGHT P2761. REPLACE TCC PRESSURE SOLENOID .THE SOLENOID DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM.WIRING HARNESS FROM THE PCM NEAR THE LEFT FRONT WHEELHOUSE WAS LAYING ON TOP OF THE CONTROL ARM AND FRAME AND CUT THE HARNESS.

And this...

Found low voltage on IGN0 fuse in drivers side dash fuse panel. Voltage drop was 1.5V from pos post on battery. This fuse protects trans module so multiple trans codes set. Replaced Ignition switch.

Check the fuse of the drivers side fuse.
And this....

Transmission Range Switch
- water intrusion to trans range selector,causing fuse to blow.replaced trans range selector switch and connector pig-tails.

Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!