Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lexus or Benz?

Alexi54
01-10-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm torn. I love my 1998 Lexus GS400 (Cinnabar w/spoiler) with 105,000+ mi., but I'm being seduced by a 2007 MB SL550 (AMG Sport Package) w/21,500 mi. Do I succumb? -- $$$ a bit of an issue ...

jdmccright
01-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Hard to say...a newer MB versus your older Lex?

Did you buy the Lex new? If so, you tend to hold onto cars a fairly long time. MB drivers tend to cycle through them via leasing. I presume the one you're looking at has come back off a lease. I'd then presume you'd keep this for a while too. No matter what, cars cost more as they age...in maintenance as well as residual value.

Your Lex has probably given you many years of trouble-free miles. Are you ready to dive into the sports car realm (of MB no less) and the potential for higher maintenance costs? I agree there's very little that is sporty about a Lexus and having a newer more fun car is refreshing, but I wouuld plan on more money devoted to gas and maintenance than your current Lex.

The short answer is, "love will find a way". But hopefully I gave you a few things to be aware of when plunging into the world of MB.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Alexi54
01-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks for your response. I bought the Lexus when it was 1.5 years old, and I do keep my cars until they're pretty much ready to donate to charity. Luckily, through the years, I have had models that require minimum maintenance. And, while I like a nicely styled ride, I'm not one to flaunt an expensive one.

Your points are very well-considered and well-received, helping me to come to the conclusion that there are some other cars I should look at. So ... I just test drove a 2008 BMW 135i. I think I'm being seduced again, but by a car that can give me lots more fun without being quite as expensive on the first date and not as high maintenance after.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Will let you know what happens!

Add your comment to this topic!