Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

any suggesting on removing freezing bolts on exhaust pipe?

harryhk
01-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Dear All:

The exhaust pipe connecting the cat and muffler is broken. However, the bolts connecting them are so rusted that look like one piece. Any tips on removing them off? I am afraid that PB blaster won't work in this case. I am thinking of drill them through, but afraid of damaging the cat. Any suggestions on doing this ?

BTW, my car's fuel tank has some leak. I can smell the gas. Is it safe to use a torch to remove freezing bolts?

Thanks,
Kun

jeffcoslacker
01-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Hard to say what to tell you here. If you smell gas when under the car, it's not safe to use a torch...but a torch is the only thing that's probably going to work.

A propane torch works on exhaust bolts but it take a REALLY long time to get them hot enough...most people give up too soon. The tip of the flame is what you want on the bolt...lotta people tend to get the torch head too close and never get enough heat out of it.

Those bolts have to be torched until they actually glow brightly, and they WILL come loose. Not just glowing dull red, but orange/yellow. Make sure you aren't right under them, rusted chaff will fly when they break loose, and when it's red hot chaff, it hurts like hell when it falls on you :)

Pay attention to where your flame is pointed...you don't wanna be pointed at fuel or brake lines, and pointing directly at floorpans can get your carpet cooking.

If I was in your situation I might set a box fan near the rear of the car, blowing away from it, and if that kept the fuel vapors away from the work area, I'd be OK with it.

harryhk
01-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Hard to say what to tell you here. If you smell gas when under the car, it's not safe to use a torch...but a torch is the only thing that's probably going to work.

A propane torch works on exhaust bolts but it take a REALLY long time to get them hot enough...most people give up too soon. The tip of the flame is what you want on the bolt...lotta people tend to get the torch head too close and never get enough heat out of it.

Those bolts have to be torched until they actually glow brightly, and they WILL come loose. Not just glowing dull red, but orange/yellow. Make sure you aren't right under them, rusted chaff will fly when they break loose, and when it's red hot chaff, it hurts like hell when it falls on you :)

Pay attention to where your flame is pointed...you don't wanna be pointed at fuel or brake lines, and pointing directly at floorpans can get your carpet cooking.

If I was in your situation I might set a box fan near the rear of the car, blowing away from it, and if that kept the fuel vapors away from the work area, I'd be OK with it.

Thanks a lot Jeff. The information you provided is very helpful. The box fan seems to be a very clever idea. I will update my result after I try it :jerking:

Thanks again.

harryhk
01-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks a lot Jeff. The information you provided is very helpful. The box fan seems to be a very clever idea. I will update my result after I try it :jerking:

Thanks again.

I forgot to mention: Is there any torch recommended? I am just an individual who fixing my car in my spare time.

I checked Amazon, seems the following torch works:
http://www.amazon.com/Blazer-GB2001-Self-Igniting-Butane-Micro-Torch/dp/B000VML7KO/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1326165799&sr=1-1

Since most of the torches sold are used for cooking. Sometimes I am really confused if they are sufficient to remove freezing bolts.

CivicSpoon
01-10-2012, 12:14 AM
You'd probably be better off with something that gets a little hotter, like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202185045/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

3,600 degrees vs 2,500 degrees, the hotter the better. There are a lot of stores around you that should have them; Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target (although I can't find any listed on their site, I've seen them in the home improvement/automotive section of my local stores), and auto parts stores.

StealthSonic
01-11-2012, 01:29 AM
If u r planing to break the bolt anyway why not use lever extending the lenght of your socket wrench? Every foot will increase the power by double. Strong metal pipe 3ft+ will do the trick; however, becareful not to use cheap sockets, they will break in pieces. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!