Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power sliding door inop

mark_gober
01-09-2012, 12:27 AM
I have an issue with my wife's 2000 Windstar. Her passenger side sliding door has decided to stop working. Both the pillar button and the overhead console button do the same thing. If you press them, the door unlocks, but the door does not open. I pulled the interior panels off and got access to the door retractor. I put 12 volts on the red/blue wires and the motor started turning, which leads me to believe that the retractor is good. Apparantly, there is a clutch in there that I didn't know about at the time, so I didn't test that. But from what I've seen so far, it isn't anything to do with the retractor because it doesn't attempt to operate after you push the button.

Anyone ever experienced similar issues? I'm wondering about replacing the module. I'm open to any suggestions you may have.

Mark

mark_gober
01-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Well, here's an update. I went to the junkyard today (hauling about 80 lbs. of tools) and located a power sliding door module (motor and module actually) from a 99 Windstar. I came home and installed it and unfortunately, got exactly the same results.

I'm really flustered now because there really isn't much to the thing. As I mentioned in my first post, the door unlocks and the latch releases, but the door actuator does not retract the door. It doesn't even attempt it. Having swapped out the entire module I really thought it would be fixed.

So now I have a question or two. Do the door contacts on the sliding glass door have anything to do with the door actuator. From what I've seen, they only control the door locks and the speaker...not the sliding door actuator. Also, what is the sliding door detent switch? I've seen it mentioned several times, but can't really locate any info on it. Also, does the REM control the door actuator? I know it supplies a signal to indicate that the vehicle is going over 6mph so that it won't open while you're driving, but other than that, does it control the sliding door.

I'm really looking for some advice here on what could maybe be causing this door not to open. I appreciate any advice you guys may have.

Sincerely,

Mark

Add your comment to this topic!