Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Another Zero Paint(primer) question

rx7king
01-05-2012, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this question has already been asked but I couldn't find it in my search. I just started using Zero paints and I used 'Zero White Primer-micro filler' for most parts except the body. After applying paint and letting it it dry I masked some parts and every time I removed the masking tape almost all the paint came off with the masking tape. To prep the plastic i washed it with warm water and soap and scrubbed with a clean tooth brush. On some parts i also sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper. In the past I have always just used Tamiya Fine White primer from the can and never had this problem. I recently ordered the Zero Paints 'Key and Clean' product which I am waiting for it to arrive hoping that using that will correct the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this? From things I have read I would guess not letting paint and primer dry long enough, not thoroughly cleaning parts, or using too strong of masking tape (I always use Tamiya masking tape) but whatever tape I tried pulled the paint and primer up.

I apologize if this isn't new question but I need help and am curious if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks
Justin

iceracer1
01-06-2012, 07:22 AM
I don't know what it is with white primer but I have the same issue and there are many other people I know with this problem.

I always use the grey primer now and have no problems at all. Even white paint can be painted on the grey primer without making it darker.

Maybe the white primer has an other chemical formule I don't know. I still have that white primer here but never used it again since.

Kris.

rx7king
01-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks,

I also have a jar of the ZP grey basecoat 10% black wonder if it will be able to work fine like the grey primer you say you use?

stevenoble
01-08-2012, 04:42 AM
I tried the Zero primers and had the same problem. Can't get them on smooth enough and they just lift off with masking tape..!! Just use the Tamiya aerosol primers now and I have no more problems. The Zero paints are great though, I cannot fault them, just the primers..

rx7king
01-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Okay thanks guys, thought maybe there was something i was doing that was causing it. Ill have to go back to Tamiya primers

GirchyGirchy
01-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Here's my recent thread:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1073557

Sounds like the general consensus is to go with Tamiya.

BVC500
01-16-2012, 08:36 AM
I never had any luck with even Cobra Colors primer! Seems anyone else who tries to create a primer better than Tamiya's fails.

to-mek
01-16-2012, 10:48 AM
I never had problems with Zero primers. I suggest you to wipe parts with ethanol alcohol after sanding, and don't touch them with bare fingers before painting.

Result straight from jar without sanding, Vega 2000 with 0.3 nozzle. Beautiful matte surface ideal for following painting because paint sticks better for a little bit rougher primer.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm104/to-mek/DSC02738.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm104/to-mek/DSC02734.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!