flasher rellay

wyodan59
12-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Anyone have trouble with the flasher relay blowing. I have replaced it twice and the fuse twice. also have replaced the blinker switch. This is a 2001 dodge ram 1500. If you have what did you find. It's my mother in laws truck and I am not to excited about tearing into her wiring if I don't need to.

jamesslcx
12-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Wyodan59, I hate to say it but it does sound like it has a short somewhere in the circuit, just try to look over everything you can maybe if you are lucky it will be easy to spot such as were any add ons?

wyodan59
12-31-2011, 07:02 PM
I am mostly confused as to why it is taking out the flasher relay as well as the fuse in the engine compartment. but it does not take out the flasher fuse in the dash.

jamesslcx
12-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Wyodan59, that is strange but electrical problems are a headache sometimes. Does it have any other symptoms? I Used to hate these kind of problems until I bought a multimeter and an automotive electrical manual, even now after fixing many problems I still run across one I can't solve. Usually the problems are small and take a lot of time to find.

wyodan59
05-24-2012, 09:10 AM
I found the problem. Somehow the wire to the tail lights ended up getting between the spare tire and the bed of the truck. A quick splice and wire tie to keep the wires out of the way and everything is good. Thanks for the reply's.

Add your comment to this topic!