Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is it normal for rear brakes to rub when adjusted?

kaspr
12-30-2011, 01:21 PM
I have a 2003. On both of my rear drum brakes, I'll adjust the rear brakes until they start to rub, and then I'll back off the adjuster wheel so that they don't rub when rotating the wheel. Then when I drive and make reverse stops for auto-adjusting, they tighten up, and when I jack up the back end and rotate the wheels, they rub on one part of the wheel's revolution (and it's not a "slight" rubbing). Is this normal, or does it indicate something needs to be adjusted or replaced? I'm having the drums turned and replacing the pads. Any other ideas?

kaspr
12-30-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm having the drums turned and replacing the pads. Any other ideas?

Sorry, I meant I'm replacing the shoes, not the pads. The shop said that the drums were not out-of-round, so I'm dumbfounded as to what may be causing this problem of the brakes rubbing/catching at one part of a revolution.

Please Let me know if you think of anything.

lesterl
01-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Replace the springs/ other hardware as well...... should be a kit or something at the parts store.

Cressidaadr
01-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Mine seem to touch on part of the revolution as well and will totally stop the wheel from spinning after about 3 or 4 turns. I don't know how bad you are talking about so I assume this is normal drag.

Let us know what you find out since if there is a fix I may need to look into it as well.

kaspr
01-21-2012, 01:54 PM
I replaced the hardware kit (springs) and adjuster kit, so now I've done everything possible. We'll see if they keep rubbing after the new shoes get broken in.

My rubbing is similar to yours or even a little worse. I do not believe this is normal, judging by my Park Avenue which does not have that much friction. I'm sure this is hurting my gas mileage, which is sub-par.

j cAT
01-21-2012, 02:36 PM
I replaced the hardware kit (springs) and adjuster kit, so now I've done everything possible. We'll see if they keep rubbing after the new shoes get broken in.

My rubbing is similar to yours or even a little worse. I do not believe this is normal, judging by my Park Avenue which does not have that much friction. I'm sure this is hurting my gas mileage, which is sub-par.

make sure the parking brake cable is loose and not applying any brake action.

adjusting the shoes so you have drag then back of 5 clicks.

when the shoes are worn only at the top the drum is too worn,

Tech II
01-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Turn the drums......

Add your comment to this topic!