mold lines-exhaust systems

oldguy2
12-29-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm finally asking for help...
Is there an easier way to remove mold lines
from exhaust systems that doesn't take forever...:banghead:

gpz900ra7
12-29-2011, 08:42 PM
I find the best tool to use is a thing called "Flexi-Files", look for them here.....

http://www.micromark.com/19-piece-flex-i-file-set,7129.html

I use these all the time, and they are superb :grinyes::grinyes:.

gpz900ra7.

andybmw7272
12-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Use an exacto #11 and instead of going forward with the sharp edge, where you would be cutting away the lines, use the same sharp edge but dragging it along the line you want to remove (I guess you would say an obtuse angle to the exhaust).

This works very well for me.
I hope this is clear? A little hard to explain.

Let me know if I need to explain it differently.
Andy

ZoomZoomMX-5
12-30-2011, 08:07 AM
If you have the right tools, it doesn't take long to do.

Flexi Files are great, as is the "scrape" method that Andy mentions.

I use a combination of scraping the lines off w/an X-Acto blade, followed by using a small 4-grit sanding/polishing stick that is meant for nail salon use but works perfectly for removing mold lines in tight places.

Don't fear going to a beauty supply store or section of store; you can find great sanding/polishing sticks and pointed swabs that are great for various jobs.

oldguy2
12-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys...

rsxse240
12-31-2011, 08:44 PM
I generally try to completely replace the exhaust systems when possible because most of the time the kit parts are poor renderings and it's easier to just make a whole new part using solder of various diameters and finishing them off with aluminum tubing for tips.

ManicRC
01-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Use an exacto #11 and instead of going forward with the sharp edge, where you would be cutting away the lines, use the same sharp edge but dragging it along the line you want to remove (I guess you would say an obtuse angle to the exhaust).

Me too, but I finish with a quick sanding to smooth out the scraped surface.

Romik505
01-09-2012, 02:25 PM
My first model was the Porsche 934 RSR Heller. It was in 1992 and it was excellent.
Now I have a lot of boxes from different manufacturers. But when I think about building a new model , hands are always drawn to Tamiya.:smile::smile:
But I agree with all, the manufacturers have good kit and so-so.
A resin producers .... I think that some of them did not even try to collect their model before selling.:mad:

Add your comment to this topic!