Page updated on 12-14-2017

88 Caprice. Hole in transmission line

vinnievv
12-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Hi, I have a small hole in the transmission line that is attached to the top of my radiator. It is on the top of the line about 1foot down from the top. Is it o.k. to cut that portion out and than replace with a brass compression fitting?

Thank you in advance for any help on this matter

Vinnie

maxwedge
12-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Easier may be to get a length of hydraulic hose and double clamp each end after an appropriate section is cut out of the metal line.

j cAT
12-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Hi, I have a small hole in the transmission line that is attached to the top of my radiator. It is on the top of the line about 1foot down from the top. Is it o.k. to cut that portion out and than replace with a brass compression fitting?

Thank you in advance for any help on this matter

Vinnie

you can use gas rubber line like whats used on an external tranny cooler. use double clamps on each end of hose. very little pressure but the fluid will get hot. ask parts store for the correct hose.

using the brass compression fittings will work . you must be careful not to over torque. also make sure the line is not rusted out. rust will damage the transmission. if the line is rusted out best replace it.

using brake line with flare tool fittings would be a solid long lasting repair.

fjclaus
03-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Recently I had the same issue on my 93 Caprice. My friend who owns a shop here in town, suggested I just fix it correctly. The lines were cheap, only about $8.00 a line. I was told conflicting stories though about slicing. I was told that you could use the rubber so long as it's not the high pressure side. Just make sure you clamp it good. the only horror stories I've heard were the hose popping off because of the clamp and fluid leaking all over. If you don't notice the fluid leak you could ruin your tranny for good.

If you have the money and the time, I'd say replace the entire hose.

j cAT
03-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Recently I had the same issue on my 93 Caprice. My friend who owns a shop here in town, suggested I just fix it correctly. The lines were cheap, only about $8.00 a line. I was told conflicting stories though about slicing. I was told that you could use the rubber so long as it's not the high pressure side. Just make sure you clamp it good. the only horror stories I've heard were the hose popping off because of the clamp and fluid leaking all over. If you don't notice the fluid leak you could ruin your tranny for good.

If you have the money and the time, I'd say replace the entire hose.

The transmission fluid lines in/out of the radiator are low pressure.

you could get high pressure with a restriction / that would be a failure condition however.

disconnect the lines and you'll see it flows at a low rate.

Add your comment to this topic!