Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Camry head gasket Emergency!

Hooyah
12-28-2011, 02:58 PM
I dropped the new cylinder head on this 94 camry. Torqued down all the bolts to spec and then I went under the car to get the bolts on the back of the head. HORRORS! a small bracket holding a sensor got wedged in with the head gasket. It's maybe a mm high and a mm deep in between the head and gasket. I can't seem to pull it out.

I installed a new head with new bolts and washers. If I loosen the head bolts in order again and retighten them should it be ok? These bolts are not tty so they can be reused. I just always get new ones when doing head gasket.

Attaching a pic. Blue circle shows where it is wedged in.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh65/nemesispc/20111228_143854.jpg

DeltaP
12-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Is it on the head side of the gasket or the block side? If ya cant pull it out ... it aint good. Probably deeper than a mm. Gonna cost ya another gasket at least. Just curious as to which side of gasket as the head is aluminum and it'll probably leave a mark. But the gasket has been distorted from an uneven clamping force. If it were mine i'd pull the head and check. Then replace the gasket.

jdmccright
01-10-2012, 12:01 PM
You'll definitely need a new gasket since the bracket has probably cut the one you have. You'll probably have to pull the head anyways to check that the bracket didn't make an indent into the head or the block surfaces. If so, you'll have to smooth them out with fine wet/dry sandpaper. If it is deep, you'll probably have to use a bit of JB Weld or Quicksteel putty to fill it and sand it flat. Put shop rags in the oil galley next to it to keep debris out when working on the block.

The head bolts are tightened an additional 90 after the second torque down. They are not reusable after you have done the 90 step.

Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!