Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil change using an extractor - what about the oil filter?

jupiler
12-27-2011, 11:20 PM
I was looking at the Pela oil extractor (http://www.amazon.com/Trac-Dynamics-Oil-Extractor-liter/dp/B0000BYO97/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_4), which sucks up all the existing oil without getting underneath the car. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to do anything about the oil filter, which I understand needs to be replaced with every, or every other, oil change. My question is, how easy is it to replace the oil filter on my 2000 Corolla? Do I have to get underneath the car? (If I do, I think that defeats the purpose of having the extractor for oil change purpose)

jdmccright
01-12-2012, 09:45 AM
The oil filter is accessed under the car, so yes you wouldn't gain anything from using an extractor. Plus, you would not be removing the oil drain plug to inspect the magnet for any debris if it has one on the tip of it.

Could you use an extractor? Perhaps, if you really hate getting under there and getting a little oily, then buy a high-quality oil filter such as purolator PureOne or similar and you can go one or two oil changes without having to change the filter.

Would you be sure you're getting all the old oil out of the pan? No, not unless you pumped it into a measured container to see what you get out versus what you read on the dipstick beforehand. But as long as your fairly diligent with the change intervals and use a good oil (and the same type), you should be okay with the extractor.

Hope this helps!

salesmantony
01-13-2012, 02:57 PM
I was looking at the Pela oil extractor (http://www.amazon.com/Trac-Dynamics-Oil-Extractor-liter/dp/B0000BYO97/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_4), which sucks up all the existing oil without getting underneath the car. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to do anything about the oil filter, which I understand needs to be replaced with every, or every other, oil change. My question is, how easy is it to replace the oil filter on my 2000 Corolla? Do I have to get underneath the car? (If I do, I think that defeats the purpose of having the extractor for oil change purpose)
While the extractor seems to promise a quick, easy, and clean oil change (you don't get your hands dirty) it in fact does a very poor job. Sucking up the oil through the fill tube will leave the dirtiest oil and sediment that sit on the bottom of your pan still in the system. Far, FAR better to throw part of a cardboard box on the garage floor / ground, crawl under there with a 14mm wrench and drain it out through the drain plug, and check the plug for metal particles as well. The oil filter is accessed from underneath as well, and is probably the messiest part of the oil change as some oil usually spills when you remove the old filter. (By the way, use a good quality filter for a replacement. Stay away from the orange junk)

If you don't like getting dirty, or it's difficult for you to get under the car then I suggest paying someone to do this job. I change my own oil, and enjoy doing it. Proper and regular oil changes are the number ONE thing you can do to prolong the life of your car.

Brian R.
01-13-2012, 07:14 PM
I may be wrong, but I think you guys are mistaken about there being a magnetic drain plug in the oil pan...

Scrapper
01-14-2012, 10:19 AM
i would never do a oil change like that because you don't get all oil out and and you cant tell much of what shavings or what may be in oil. so i'm just trieing to do it the old fashion way to be sure you get all old oil out...but thats just my opinion..

DeltaP
01-14-2012, 11:32 AM
I agree on all... excellent replies except for the magnet. 2000 Corolla doesn't have a magnetic drain plug. Wish it did.

Brian R.
01-14-2012, 05:11 PM
If you do an extraction oil change, you need to consider the following:

1. You will have to change the filter at least every other change.

2. You will have to shorten your oil change interval by at least 25%. That is, if your normal oil change interval is 5000 miles, you will have to reduce the interval to 3750 miles, assuming you are leaving 1 quart of dirty oil in the filter and pan out of a total of 4 quarts.

3. Before you change the oil, you will need to drive the car for a while before you change it to suspend any crud in the bottom of the pan as best you can so that you can remove it with the pump.

4. Do not do an extraction oil change if you are trying to remove some kind of abnormal contamination, such as anti-freeze or engine flush, or if your engine has a sludge problem and has an abnormal tendency to build up some kind of deposit.

Add your comment to this topic!