Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 honda - Sudden loss of electrics

jonny75904
12-27-2011, 08:04 PM
hi all,

Apologies if this is a repeated question - I tried to dig through the forums to find my answer, but I have now succumbed to anxiety and frustration.

I drove my 2000 Honda accord lx (V6) to and from work today. When I went to leave the house to run an errand, the electrics suddenly died when I went to crank. No chimes, no accessories, nothing. I am thinking perhaps a fuse blew? I don't know where to begin looking, and suffice it to say that googling "honda dead electronics" returns quite the number of results.

Please help!

00accord44
12-28-2011, 08:40 AM
What have you checked so far? If ALL electronics went dead at once and you get nothing when you turn the key then it could be as simple as the connector slipping off of the battery. If its fuse-related then its likely to do more with the wire harness since there would have to be numerous fuses blowing at once to knock out all your electronics.

If you haven't already, check to see if the cables are still connected to the battery. Those conectors can come loose (seemingly on their own) and lift off at any time. Hopefully its that simple because a massive failure like that tends to be really simple or really expensive.

jonny75904
12-28-2011, 09:50 AM
This morning I tried again with the same result. Our garage is a tight fit so I went ahead and pushed it out to the driveway this morning.

There's corrosion on the positive connection, so I'm pretty sure the battery just needs a good cleaning and greasing. It just caught me off-guard, typically corrosion doesn't make the entire car go dead - reinserting the key usually restores accessory power.

Sorry for starting the millionth battery thread - if the battery doesn't respond to cleaning and charging then perhaps I've got a bigger problem.

00accord44
12-28-2011, 04:14 PM
No problem, hopefully it is just the corrosion... I think it is.

God luck and welcome to AF!

StealthSonic
01-11-2012, 12:57 AM
U have to have clean terminals. alternator alone wont be able to operate the engine. If u have volt meter, make sure the batt is getting 14+volt dc when engine is running. Turn on all the accesory eg: headlights hi&lo, ac or heater,hazard, radio and defroster. Check the volt meter again to see if it maintaining 14 volts if it drops below 12v which is ur batt voltage, means ur alternator is not charging correctly and u r running on batt power. Will need to fix or replace the alternator.

Add your comment to this topic!