Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0L Inline 6 wont start.

Seanyjonny
12-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Got done driving it one day, parked it, sat approx. 2-3 days, tried to start and it wouldn't start. When the engine was turning sounded like it was getting fire every couple secs but wouldn't fully start. Replaced the fuel filter, tps, distributor cap & rotor, still no luck. Took a look at what color the spark was and it was quite yellow, does it need to be blue? Any help is appreciated!

fredjacksonsan
12-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Got any codes?

Also, see the "How to troubleshoot a no start XJ" in the DIY section, that should help.

Seanyjonny
01-03-2012, 04:42 PM
I think the code might have been 3-3 (blink 3 times, pause, blink 3 times)

fredjacksonsan
01-04-2012, 09:11 PM
33 could be for the air conditioner clutch relay.

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm

I'd say try removing the serpentine belt and see if it will start. If it does, then there's an issue with the ac compressor locking up.

Has it ever failed to start before? From your post it seems that it occurred suddenly.

Seanyjonny
01-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Just checeked the code again and it seemed it flashed 1-2-5-5. But no it hasnt failed to start in the past, did take longer than usual to start but always started. Did notice the past few drives before it not starting it seemed when i came to an idle it would sputter and sound like it was going to stall or die but never did. Also sometimes around 53-57 mph the car shook violently, more often when coming down from a high speed (70-80mph). But yeah it did just suddendly happen, parked it one day, went to dads house for 3 days, came back and it wouldnt start, been there ever since. Could it have possibly jumped timing?

Seanyjonny
01-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Now that i check on the codes makes a little more sense 12 is battery disconnected within the last 50 key turns, which has happened, and then 55 is end of code.

86jeepxj
01-05-2012, 11:45 PM
You might try unplugging the map sensor, and plugging it back in. The symptoms don't exactly sound like that's the problem. But it might be worth trying.

fredjacksonsan
01-06-2012, 07:45 AM
You didn't mention that you had replaced the plugs. How long since replacement?

Seanyjonny
01-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Dont know when the plugs were last replaced, just checked and fixed the gap between them. Dont quite know if thats the problem, sounds like it kind of gets fire every couple seconds just wont start. Also re-checked the codes and now getting a 41 (alternator?) along with the 12 and 55.

fredjacksonsan
01-06-2012, 04:09 PM
This is sounding like an electrical issue. First thing I'd think of would be either the battery or the positive battery cable. Either could cause multiple electrical problems/codes. Have your battery checked, and also take a good hard look at your battery cables....I've personally seen corrosion inside the cables as far as 8" from the battery.

Seanyjonny
01-07-2012, 02:02 AM
Actually think the codes might have been from us disconnecting the battery so much and try to start it over and over again and running it dead. Charged the battery and the 41 (alternator) code went away, but 12 (disconnected battery within 50 previous key turns) is still there, and so is 55 (end of code). Kind of leaning more towards the fuel pressure regulator, theres always a strong smell of gasoline when trying to start it, even if the gas pedal isnt pushed. Also might explain the sputtering when coming to an idol? Dont quite know but i think ill try replacing that next.

fredjacksonsan
01-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Dont know when the plugs were last replaced, just checked and fixed the gap between them. Dont quite know if thats the problem, sounds like it kind of gets fire every couple seconds just wont start.

Since you're not sure when they were last replaced, I'd replace them. It will only help, and I've checked plugs that looked fine but when I replaced them, I found out they weren't.

Seanyjonny
01-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Well shouldve replaced the spark plugs first, because it worked! So a total of 4 days running again, its broken back down :headshake ... Was at the gym, went to turn key and the power died, figured it was the NSS because ive had this problem before, mess with the stick a little bit and power will come back. Was having a harder time this time, so got a buddy to jump me and it got power and started up. On the way home every time id slow down to a stop the power would drain and the car would almost die. As i was pulling in my drive way, luckily, it died and i coasted in. Figured it was the battery so i switched mine with my brothers. Was putting on the connectors and was having a hard time because sparks kept hitting me in the arm and id flinch and pull it back off, bolts wouldnt tighten, etc. FINALLY got a good connection and the wipers and lights stayed on and wouldnt turn off (even if the key was out of the car). Tried to start it and just a sustained whirl or a spinning. Any ideas? Can not wait to get rid of this POS. :mad:

Add your comment to this topic!