Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wanting to upgrade steel wheels on 07 Matrix.

Scuzz
12-26-2011, 01:08 PM
I found a 2005 Vibe with the alloy wheels in recycle yard. Is it possible to put them on my 07 Matrix that came with steel wheels.
I am told by dealer that I can't upgrade or swap wheels because it will set off an error in the computer system.
Any truth to that either?
Any help is apprecisted. I'm new to Toyotas. Been driving Civic several years.
Thanks,
Ron

jdmccright
12-27-2011, 12:13 AM
The error they are talking about is from the tire pressure monitor system (TPMS). There are pressure sensors installed onto each wheel that relay that info wirelessly to the car's info. If the wheels are swapped out, the car's system will have to relearn the sensors that are present.

The alternative, depending on how the sensors are mounted, is to remove the old sensors and reinstall them into the new wheels. This would involve removing all the tires (or at least breaking the beads). If the wheel's valve stem has a small hexagonal flats like a nut, then the TPMS sensor is a stem-mounted unit. If not, then it is an internal unit attached to the middle of the wheel. They need to be mounted the same way to be swappable.

I do not know if the Vibe sensors are compatible with the Matrix's info system. Them being twins, you would think so, but the sensors may be specific to Toyota's systems. So again, a sensor swap is your best bet to keep your driver info system from going nuts.

Hoep this helps!

Add your comment to this topic!