Page updated on 11-18-2017

Afmoty?

Hawk312
12-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Is there an AF model of the year contest going on this year, or is there any interest? This will be the 11th year since the start of the tradition.

gtziaf
12-26-2011, 11:53 AM
As always, I beleive all AF members wait the AFMOTY.
Great event on this great site!!!

MidMazar
12-26-2011, 09:16 PM
I was going to bring this up in a few
Weeks. Usually we start after the new year.
We will need forum members help though with
Donating some prizes to the winners. I'll be on board
With any help I can do.

Can't believe moty is here already and I have nothing
To enter with this year. :(

Either way the entries should be stunning.

crisjr
12-27-2011, 05:44 AM
I was going to bring this up in a few
Weeks. Usually we start after the new year.
We will need forum members help though with
Donating some prizes to the winners. I'll be on board
With any help I can do.

Can't believe moty is here already and I have nothing
To enter with this year. :(

Either way the entries should be stunning.

Hi MidMazar.. i need to check what i got at home, but you can count with something from my side to donate.

Regards

ScratchBuilt
12-27-2011, 02:24 PM
...just....let....me....get finished.....please!

SB

lovegt40
12-27-2011, 03:54 PM
LOL SB , u have to do it before 31-12..LOL... :D

auw12
12-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Yeh I guess we should rock this conventional event once again! And I happened to have an entry for this year~

The Yes Man
12-28-2011, 07:50 AM
...just....let....me....get finished.....please!

SB

If you are entering there is no point in holding the contest. Just post your address now so prizes can be sent directly :lol2:

brady_381need72c10
12-28-2011, 06:06 PM
If you are entering there is no point in holding the contest. Just post your address now so prizes can be sent directly :lol2:

i finally got something i can enter this year...even though its partial diecast!:rofl:

MPWR
01-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Happy New Year everyone.

Yeah, about MOTY then. The issue with AFMOTY is that it seems to have burned out every moderator who has run it. It's cool to have it (and it would be a shame not to have an annual modeling event here)- but the person running it is faced with a not inconsiderable task of exchanging many, many PMs with a bunch of people, keeping entries/members/pics/votes straight and organized, and of course indulging whoever seems to want to argue about the rules. (Administering prizes afterwards makes it even worse.) In short, it is a lot of effort. I ran it for a couple of years (with A LOT of help from a couple of long time members). Alex ran it last year, but as he also helped me the previous two years he's been doing it for three straight years. And Phil and Warren have hardly been seen in these parts since they did it some years ago. :uhoh:

As AFMOTY has always been an "official AF event", we've always had a moderator involved with it (and almost always running it). But of course if we don't have someone to run it, we don't really have an event. And we don't currently have someone to do it.

Which leaves us with a couple of possibilities-

1. It simply doesn't happen at all. But this of course would be kind of disappointing.

2. We do something similar, but simpler. Maybe skip the contest part of it, but do a year end showcase of everyone's best completed builds?

3. Any other ideas? :sly:

It would be cool to do something. :cool:

auw12
01-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Happy New Year everyone.

Yeah, about MOTY then. The issue with AFMOTY is that it seems to have burned out every moderator who has run it. It's cool to have it (and it would be a shame not to have an annual modeling event here)- but the person running it is faced with a not inconsiderable task of exchanging many, many PMs with a bunch of people, keeping entries/members/pics/votes straight and organized, and of course indulging whoever seems to want to argue about the rules. (Administering prizes afterwards makes it even worse.) In short, it is a lot of effort. I ran it for a couple of years (with A LOT of help from a couple of long time members). Alex ran it last year, but as he also helped me the previous two years he's been doing it for three straight years. And Phil and Warren have hardly been seen in these parts since they did it some years ago. :uhoh:

As AFMOTY has always been an "official AF event", we've always had a moderator involved with it (and almost always running it). But of course if we don't have someone to run it, we don't really have an event. And we don't currently have someone to do it.

Which leaves us with a couple of possibilities-

1. It simply doesn't happen at all. But this of course would be kind of disappointing.

2. We do something similar, but simpler. Maybe skip the contest part of it, but do a year end showcase of everyone's best completed builds?

3. Any other ideas? :sly:

It would be cool to do something. :cool:

Hi Andy, I'd have to say it'll be a big shame if there's no MOTY for 2011 since it happens every year, needless to say what it means to all AFers. I understand how tough it could be to run an event like this, nearly impossible for one person alone, but I guess it can be done properly by well organizing by the Mods instead of running it on their own. Stevenski and Mark have set a good example for us before, right? So if you or anyone else are willing to do it I'll be at your beck and call. Let's not give up the enthusiasm.

auw12
01-03-2012, 04:50 PM
I've a thought about prize then. If I remembered right we had the prize from member's donating from their personal collections which seems not so flexible and the prize won't be up on everybody's street. So can we switch actual objects into credits of some online stores, like hiroboy. Of course this has to be discussed with Steve. We give the winner certain amount of credits to buy whatever he likes at hiroboy store and in additional we can make a small banner that he can put on his signature to memorize his victory. Just my 2 cents.

crisjr
01-04-2012, 05:42 AM
I've a thought about prize then. If I remembered right we had the prize from member's donating from their personal collections which seems not so flexible and the prize won't be up on everybody's street. So can we switch actual objects into credits of some online stores, like hiroboy. Of course this has to be discussed with Steve. We give the winner certain amount of credits to buy whatever he likes at hiroboy store and in additional we can make a small banner that he can put on his signature to memorize his victory. Just my 2 cents.

That's a great idea!!.. Who wants to donate something could buy credits from online stores, Hiroboy or Hobbyeasy for instance.. great idea!!

voyageur
01-04-2012, 05:56 AM

This is the best idea ever! But to make it worthwhile for the donator, the winner should be urged to leave the banner in the signature until the next AFMOTY.

I volunteer to create the banner in Photoshop once the company donating the prize is found and agreed on.

Hope that it will happen this year, would be a shame to break with the tradition. To make voting easier, we could create a poll with doodle (http://www.doodle.com/main2.html), thus getting rid of having to deal with a million PMs.

Cheers
Sebastian

360spider
01-04-2012, 01:19 PM
I'll run it. It would be a shame to cancel it.
Sorry, I've been really busy with work lately, and almost completely fell off the face of the earth. I'm still pretty busy, and since the tax season is full swing, I will need help, lots of it.
So, I'm open for ideas....

BVC500
01-04-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm happy to help out!

auw12
01-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Me too.

MidMazar
01-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Count me in, ill help out. How can others become moderators since so many have left us, we need knew ones.

360spider
01-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks folks, let us iron out the details, and I will sure contact the volunteers.
I'll pm you guys, and will post announcement thread shortly.

da_ashman
01-09-2012, 03:07 AM
If you need another pair of hands I can be of some help...

I also like the idea of a 2011 best build thread where its just a gallery & there are no prices awarded just respect ("to some people, thats more important")

360spider
01-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Official rules and entry info are posted and stickied at the top - please read and enter!

brady_381need72c10
01-13-2012, 05:41 PM
read and entered!....when do we expect to start to see the polls pop up?

360spider
01-13-2012, 09:41 PM
read and entered!....when do we expect to start to see the polls pop up?

Please read the rules, all the information you need is there.

Btw, folks, not to sound like an a$$, but after all the asking and talking about MOTY, after at least 4 people committed to run it, spent time organizing it and rounding up prizes, etc, and 5 days after it was announced we have a....

WHOPPING 3 entries. Yes, 3.

We have 700+ new models posted in "Finished Models" forum this year. Even if half of these threads are from same authors, there is gotta be more than 3 members that want to participate in the contest.
Very disappointed so far.

Lownslow
01-13-2012, 09:48 PM

Btw, folks, not to sound like an a$$, but after all the asking and talking about MOTY, after at least 4 people committed to run it, spent time organizing it and rounding up prizes, etc, and 5 days after it was announced we have a....

We have 700+ new models posted in "Finished Models" forum this year. Even if half of these threads are from same authors, there is gotta be more than 3 members that want to participate in the contest.
because this place is dead not even worth posting builds here anymore

voyageur
01-14-2012, 07:02 AM

Could be due to it being in the sticky section? People may overlook it. I only did see it after reading your above post and looking for it...

Hawk312
01-14-2012, 11:45 AM

Some of us are hopeless procrastinators. :grinyes: You will probably get my entry at 11:58pm on Jan 22nd. :biggrin::biggrin:

ScratchBuilt
01-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Given that it doesn't cost anything to enter, or to vote, there's no reason to not show a little support for the Forum (and the organisers) by getting involved in MOTY. Compared to the effort of actually building a model, entering it into the competition should be relatively easy...

So, I will be entering...just give me a day or two!

SB

crisjr
01-16-2012, 06:55 AM
some of us are hopeless procrastinators. :grinyes: You will probably get my entry at 11:58pm on jan 22nd. :biggrin::biggrin:

:1:

Add your comment to this topic!