Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

LS V8 Engine Problems

dont_forget
12-23-2011, 03:02 PM
I have a 2001 LS V8 and recently I've noticed it cut out a little bit when accelerating at full throttle. I am not sure what could be casuing this but I would like to get it repaired because this summer I am planning on a lot of travel and am going to have to rely on this car. While I'm accelerating it seems to shortly plateau at a cretain RPM and then it gets power and accelerates again all without any chinge in trottle from me. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

I'm thinking fuel pump but just want to make sure...

joegr
12-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Before you pull the fuel pumps (yes, there are two), you should change the fuel filter. It's behind the guard behind the driver's side front wheel.

Also, the most common problem for the LS V8 is partial failure of one or more ignition coils.

shorod
12-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Agreed. If you have a scan tool that can access the "component parameters" or PIDS you should be able to identify if there is a cylinder or two that is/are misfiring, even if the misfire counts are not yet high enough to trigger a diagnostic code.

The fuel filter is a routine maintenance item, so even if it is not the problem, it will be money well spent to replace it. They are often overlooked as part of a tune up, especially since they are not out in the open on these cars.

-Rod

dont_forget
12-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I recently drove a little over a hundred miles on the interstate and noticed when i would give it extra gas to go up hills it would start to stutter a little and the check engine light would turn on. I'm assuming the ignition coils then. I've already replaced the one in cylinder 2. Any idea where I can get a scan tool to see the information from the previous post?

shorod
12-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Since your check engine light came on, you won't need a tool that can access the component parameters. Just a standard scan tool to read the codes should reveal which cylinder or cylinders is/are misfiring.

The one that I know could access the component parameters is the OTC Genisys.

-Rod

dont_forget
12-25-2011, 12:09 AM
The problem is the light didn't stay on. Can I still read why the light came on?

shorod
12-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Yep, with OBD-II if the issue was present long enough to trigger the Check Engine Light (CEL) a code will be stored for several cycles, even if the issue is not currently present. Often your local auto parts stores will offer a service of reading diagnostic codes at no charge. You'll want to get the actual code number though, in the form of P0123, rather than the salesperson's interpretation of the code. Then post the code back here.

-Rod

dont_forget
12-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Okay so I just got back from the parts store and I am getting code P0305 for what they said was cylinder 5 misfire. Would that be ignition coils?

joegr
12-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Okay so I just got back from the parts store and I am getting code P0305 for what they said was cylinder 5 misfire. Would that be ignition coils?

95+% of the time, yes it is. Remember to change the #5 sparkplug as well. (Bad coils damage sparkplugs, bad sparkplugs damage coils, rinse and repeat.)

#5 is at the front of the engine on the driver's side.

dont_forget
12-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks a lot for your help joegr and shorod I really do appreciate it. I just have one more question. Where do you recommend I buy the ignition coil? (are they cheaper online)

joegr
12-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks a lot for your help joegr and shorod I really do appreciate it. I just have one more question. Where do you recommend I buy the ignition coil? (are they cheaper online)

Personally, I get them from a Ford dealer on line that gives good discounts, so the OEM coils are around $50 instead of $90. The newest revision of the coils seems to be pretty reliable. I think that experiences with e-bay coils are hit and miss.

shorod
12-27-2011, 08:52 AM
I think that experiences with e-bay coils are hit and miss.

Pun intended? ;)

-Rod

RJLipscomb
12-28-2011, 07:11 PM
I bought my new COPS at Autozone. I think they were $45 each? So far so good.

Add your comment to this topic!