Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 grand am gt wont start!

jmarts
12-20-2011, 08:59 PM
car was running when parked it in the drive way, knowing the #5 injector was bad, 2 days later went to pull it into garage, cranks but wont start, have 60 lbs of fuel pressure and can smell the gas, checked for spark, had no spark, took ignition module to oriellys to have checked on there tester and it tested good, even tried the passlock 10 minute trick and nothing, put a scan tool on it and has shows the low oil switch is bad, #5 inj and misfire detected, the ignition key sometimes sticks when turning over too, any body have any ideas! please help!

thephantom1492
12-20-2011, 09:08 PM
bad crank shaft position sensor?

jmarts
12-20-2011, 09:23 PM
checked the crank sensors with the scan tool and they read while engine is cranking, could they still be bad?

Tech II
12-21-2011, 01:55 PM
How do you know #5 injector is bad? There is no code for that.....the code you may be referring to, deals with the injector circuit, not the injector itself.....

ICM could be intermittant.....there are two crank sensors on the vehicle.....if no spark, either one of the crank sensors or the ICM is bad....

billn2
12-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Another thing to look for is the crank sensor wiring harness leaning up against the exhaust manifold. The harness that goes from the crank sensor on the back of the motor to the icm. Sometimes it doesn't get routed right after service has been performed on the engine such as intake gaskets or head gaskets. It will lean on the exhaust manifold and melt the insulation grounding it on the manifold and sometimes crossing the 2 wires inside.

jmarts
12-21-2011, 03:47 PM
ths scan tool i used specifically said #5 injector, cant emember the code # off hand and it showed it had 27700 misfires. and i did do head gaskets on it about 6 months ago so, i will check that too

billn2
12-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah, one bad injector or missfiring cylinder won't keep it from starting.

jmarts
12-22-2011, 04:00 PM
billn2 while checking the wiring u talked about rubbing the exhaust manifold i found mice or some other rodent have chewed up the wiring to the crank sensor and several other things including the wheel sensors low oil etc, wow just my luck, thanks for the advice tho cuz i found it right where you said to look

billn2
12-23-2011, 03:01 PM
No problem. Glad I could help.

DeltaP
12-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Rats! Little buggers are keepin their nuts warm on yer engine and havin a snack too!:uhoh:

Tech II
12-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Rodents are famous for building a nest or resting between the fuel rails under the upper plenum......this may be your injector problem, if they ate the wires there....hard to reallly see without taking the top of the plenum off......what I would do, is disconnect the injector harness and take an ohm reading of circuit #5.....it will probably read "OL" if they ate through the wires to the injector.....all injector circuits should read about 12 ohms....

Add your comment to this topic!