5.9 L Tick-Tick-Tick

bignoisey
12-19-2011, 07:43 PM
I took my 1999 Ram Van in to Speedilube for an oil change. It only has about 65,000 miles on it and I've regularly changed oil and lubed the chassis. They talked me in to switching from conventional 10W-40 to 5W-30 synthentic blend oil this time. Now I have a valve lifter ticking away and it never seems to quit, its annoying. Is there a good additive that might stop this that anyone has used? Should I switch back to 10W-40 conventional oil? Mileage-wise, it seems too soon to have this kind of trouble. Any other ideas?

alloro
12-19-2011, 11:02 PM
5W-30 synthetic flows a lot easier than 10W-40 conventional oil does. The 10W-40 oil was apparently hiding a dirty lifter from you. Synthetic oil will eventually clean the inside of your engine to the point that it will look brand new inside if you were to ever disassemble it. Unlike conventional oils, synthetics do not create sludge or varnish build-up inside the engine. The best thing you can do for now is to pour 1/3 of a Seafoam can into the oil and just leave it in there to clean the gunk out of the lifter. Eventually the noise will stop. The alternative is to run motor flush through the engine and change the oil and filter again.

Mopar_Stev
12-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Gunk Motor Flush works well. 5W30 or 10W30 synthetic are good choices. Use a Purolator large filter with strong magnets on the outside of the filter can. This will pull the sludge that comes free from inside your engine to accumulate in the filter rather than becoming deposited some place else in the engine.

Follow the direction on the bottle. It may take more than on treatment per oil change if the inside of the engine is sledged up badly.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Euzjwy2vL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

jamesslcx
12-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Bignoisey, if you have been changing the oil regularly there should be no sludge in your engine at that mileage if you have maintained it. Conventional oil is very good these days and is not much different than a synthetic. I think your owners manual probably calls for at least a 10w30 weight oil but 10w40 is not too heavy. These engine do not have very tight tolerances and really thin oil is not very good for them. Also does your van have a pressure gauge and what is its reading?

Mopar_Stev
12-28-2011, 12:57 AM
These engine do not have very tight tolerances and really thin oil is not very good for them. Also does your van have a pressure gauge and what is its reading?

When the 5.2L/318cid and the 5.9L/360cid engines became Magnum engines in the mid 90's, these were the next generation of the older muscle engines with new life. The Hp itself was nearly doubled and the tolerances became tighter. The OEM oil recommended is 10W30 for all seasons with the 5W30 for colder climates.

jamesslcx
12-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Mopar Stev, that's a pretty impressive list of Mopars that you own. I have always liked the Aspen and Volare. By the way myself I always use the best oil filter available and knock on wood i have never had an engine problem yet.

alloro
12-28-2011, 03:56 PM
I always use the best oil filter available and knock on wood i have never had an engine problem yet.

Using good filters is probably why the only knocking you have is, on wood! :thumbsup:

jamesslcx
12-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Alloro, good point!

Mopar_Stev
12-31-2011, 11:36 PM
Mopar Stev, that's a pretty impressive list of Mopars that you own. I have always liked the Aspen and Volare. By the way myself I always use the best oil filter available and knock on wood i have never had an engine problem yet.

Well, that's the list of Mopars I've had over the years. Sure miss a few of them.
Glad to have lived in an area where the older Mopars were still around in high school almost 20 years later.

My favorite is a Duster 340/360/318. The super /6 was alright, but too much smog stuff on the engine. Had to rip that out back then. :grinyes:

jamesslcx
01-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Mopar Stev, glad to see there are a few Mopar fans still out there. Yea there are several I still miss myself, I started out liking fords till I got a 71 Demon 340, after that I've been hooked on old Mopars ever since! Good new year to you.

Add your comment to this topic!