Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ASAP! Which way to move the belt tensioner when removing!

EDDIE138301
12-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Okay experts! need quick reply for this 2000 oldsmobile belt tensioner removal.
I took my rachet and pulled upwards. It moves a little but not enough to get the belt off. What am I doing wrong? I pull the other direction, nothing. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maxwedge
12-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Possible the tensioner is binding, sometimes I really have to give it a yank.

EDDIE138301
12-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Possible the tensioner is binding, sometimes I really have to give it a yank.
So I am moving in the right direction? I am pulling up on it. If I was going the other direction, I would not get any movement out of it at all, correct?

oldblu65
12-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Okay experts! need quick reply for this 2000 oldsmobile belt tensioner removal.
I took my ratchet and pulled upwards. It moves a little but not enough to get the belt off. What am I doing wrong? I pull the other direction, nothing. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are using just the ratchet ? The idler assembly can sometimes be quite difficult to pull unless you use some sort of extension on the ratchet giving you more leverage . A pipe ( that fits over the ratchet handle ) will help immensely but be very careful that it doesn't slip off and hurt you or damage your vehicle . The additional leverage will be immediately evident ! It's a good idea to have someone help you so one can pull on the ratchet and hold the tension while the other removes ( or installs ) the belt . Good luck !

DeltaP
12-20-2011, 01:17 AM
I'd say rotating it away from the belt would be the right diriection! They make a tool for that. It gives the proper leverage.

Add your comment to this topic!