1990 Buick Regal

jimbarb
12-18-2011, 08:12 PM
I've got a chance to purchase a l990 Regal from a family member for practically nothing. The speedometer is digital and the odometer is analog. The odometer doesn't work. Just stopped one day. Is this too much of a hassle or expensive to deal with, and should I forget about the car. The odometer stopped at 32,000 miles. It was bought new and driven about 4 years before the owner got sick with cancer. His daughter used it and put about 20,000 miles on it. Any answers?

MagicRat
12-19-2011, 12:53 AM
What do you mean "forget about the car"? A broken odo is a minor problem, and is no reason to turn down what might be a real bargain.

Low mileage older cars that have been looked-after have lots of life left. A broken odo is just an inconvenience. You should be more concerned about the condition of the car and if it's suffered from neglect and rust.If this car will be cheap-wheels for you, just live without the odo and enjoy the bargain-basement price.

As for the repair, if the speed works, then the fault may lie in the instrument cluster. You might be able to swap-out a replacement from a cluster available from a wrecking yard. There may be another solution, hopefully someone else can contribute.

gmtech1
12-19-2011, 08:40 AM
I agree with MagicRat. This is minor if the car is in otherwise good condition. It will likley need a cluster.

jimbarb
12-19-2011, 09:37 AM
What do you mean "forget about the car"? A broken odo is a minor problem, and is no reason to turn down what might be a real bargain.

Low mileage older cars that have been looked-after have lots of life left. A broken odo is just an inconvenience. You should be more concerned about the condition of the car and if it's suffered from neglect and rust.If this car will be cheap-wheels for you, just live without the odo and enjoy the bargain-basement price.

As for the repair, if the speed works, then the fault may lie in the instrument cluster. You might be able to swap-out a replacement from a cluster available from a wrecking yard. There may be another solution, hopefully someone else can contribute.

The only problem is I need the odometer to work in order to get inspected so as to title in my name. I love the car but can't afford to get an exact answer to what is wrong. Where do I start as far as what to ask for at a salvage yard?

jimbarb
12-19-2011, 09:39 AM

The only problem is I have to have a working odometer to get the car inspected and titled in myname. I don't know where to start to find a definitive answer cause I can't transport the car. Salvage yard - what do I ask for?

jimbarb
12-19-2011, 09:41 AM
I agree with MagicRat. This is minor if the car is in otherwise good condition. It will likley need a cluster.
I need the odometer to work in order to get the car inspected. I need to get a definitive answer on what is causing this and where to go to get it fixed. I can't transport the car all the way to Lancaster to get an answer. Salvage yard - what do I ask for?

jimbarb
12-19-2011, 09:43 AM
I need the odometer to work. I need a definitive answer and the guy who does my inspection yearly in PA says since the speedometer works and the odometer doesn't it is most likely in the dash. Does the whole dash need replacing? And a cluster -- what is that?

gmtech1
12-19-2011, 01:51 PM
The part with the speedo and gauges. If you call a salvage yard and tell them you are looking for a instrument clustern they'll know what you mean.

jimbarb
12-20-2011, 12:21 PM
thanks!

jimbarb
12-20-2011, 12:22 PM
The part with the speedo and gauges. If you call a salvage yard and tell them you are looking for a instrument clustern they'll know what you mean.
thanks!

jimbarb
12-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I need the odometer to work. I need a definitive answer and the guy who does my inspection yearly in PA says since the speedometer works and the odometer doesn't it is most likely in the dash. Does the whole dash need replacing? And a cluster -- what is that?
Thanks!

jimbarb
12-20-2011, 12:26 PM
The only problem is I have to have a working odometer to get the car inspected and titled in myname. I don't know where to start to find a definitive answer cause I can't transport the car. Salvage yard - what do I ask for?
Thanks for the infor!

Add your comment to this topic!