Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2 Big Questions for 96 Corolla

famlycar
12-12-2011, 07:26 PM
First question is how long does the timing belt last in the 96 corolla --- is it 60000 or 100,000? or longer? anyone out there have a belt to last longer?

Second Q is my exhaust system smells bad but there doesn't appear to be any holes or rust anywhere in the exhaust line or muffler. So far with over 200,000 miles on the car the exhaust system has never been replaced. Could the problem lie in the oxygen sensor? I heard that there are 2 of these sensors. one sensor in front and one under the passenger side floorboard... is this correct?? Or could the problem be the emissions system like the charcoal cannister?

A carload of thanks!

Brian R.
12-12-2011, 11:57 PM
60k under severe conditions - 90k normally. Severe conditions are stop/go driving with extreme weather conditions.

For the smell, what does it smell like? Sulfur? Sweet? Burnt oil? any smoke?

Yes, there are two sensors. One in the exhaust manifold and one just after the catalytic convertor.

famlycar
12-13-2011, 01:14 AM
thanks Brian.
I've got 75000 miles so it's about time for the timing belt

The smell is just like the smell of normal exhaust I guess, no smoke but a vapor can be seen from the tailpipe which dissipates quickly; and oil is good--- no leaking or burning.

I changed the sensor in front about 50,000 miles ago but not the one behind the converter; so if the sensor's not operating, will it will cause the bad exhaust? are both sensors the same type? thanks

Brian R.
12-13-2011, 03:04 PM
I changed the sensor in front about 50,000 miles ago but not the one behind the converter; so if the sensor's not operating, will it will cause the bad exhaust? are both sensors the same type? thanks

No, the rear convertor has no effect on mixture. It is only an indicator of catalyst efficiency. No, the sensors are normally different. Sometimes the gas you use can have a higher sulfur content and cause a bad smell. May be your catalyst burning off some contamination. I wouldn't worry about it. It can only cost you money with little or no potential permanent solution.

Add your comment to this topic!