Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Newbie with a problem

Darkranger85
12-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Hey all,

Chevy
Lumina
3.1L (I think, not 100%)
100k (Tiny bit over)

I'm new to all things "car." Which actually means I have never looked under the hood of a car for anything more complicated than jumpstarting or pouring in oil.

Today I started having a problem with the car and I'm hoping to get some input on it before my father gets home from work so I can help him out a bit.

I started the car this morning and it seemed fine. I warmed it up and then went to the gas station where I filled the tank. After this I hit the highway and suddenly the car felt as if it were driving through Jello.

I wasn't getting any power and it came in surges but got progressively worse. My first thought was water in the tank. But, then I got home and I'm ashamed to admit that I then noticed a rather large puddle of oil on the ground.

I'm not 100% sure but I'm thinking the puddle got there before I left, probably while the car was warming up.

I put a quart of oil in the car (cause thats what I happened to have on hand) and put a container of dry gas in the tank.

Any ideas and things I can do to run down the problem to help my dad would be very welcome!

Thanks!

gmtech1
12-12-2011, 12:16 PM
You said you added a quart of oil. Did that bring the oil level to the "safe" range on the dipstick? Are there any dash lights coming on? Like the check enging light?

Darkranger85
12-12-2011, 12:20 PM
You said you added a quart of oil. Did that bring the oil level to the "safe" range on the dipstick? Are there any dash lights coming on? Like the check enging light?

What would be a "safe" level?

And the check engine light is on. Has been on for a while.

EDIT: I checked the level and I believe it is still quite low. The level doesn't even go up an inch on the stick.

I do have more oil now, but I didn't want to add it till I had asked about it cause I don't want it to be going to waste just leaking out or something.

gmtech1
12-12-2011, 02:31 PM
There should be two marks, notches or a crosshatched section near the bottom of the dipstick. The oil level should between the marks, or notches, or in the middle of the crosshatched area. You also need to have the car scanned for codes and see what code is set.

Darkranger85
12-12-2011, 04:52 PM
2 quarts brought it up to about halfway.

maxwedge
12-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Get the check engine lite code read and post back , of course this oil leak must be resolved if no damage has already occurred being that low.

oldblu65
12-12-2011, 09:44 PM
2 quarts brought it up to about halfway.
This likely shows you only had only ( maybe ) two quarts ( + or - ) in the engine before adding the oil . You really need to check your engine oil ( and other engine compartment fluids ) on a regular basis . This is particularly true if you have a known oil leak . Motor oil is the " blood " that keeps your engine running much like your own blood does for your body ! We think you know what can happen if your body loses half of it's blood ! Would not be a good situation for your survival - same goes for your engine ! Hope you haven't had any engine damage ?

Add your comment to this topic!