Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Heated O2 sensor brand

reefgeorge
12-12-2011, 09:50 AM
What are the best brands of heated oxygen sensors I have access to:

Denso
NTK
Bosch
Delphi
Delco
Standard
Beck Arnley
Walker

Interestingly, Delphi is less than half of Delco. I would lean towards Delco because the OEM sensor lasted 180K miles but I dont know if the quality is still the same and it is the most expensive at over $100. Thanks.

viggy58
12-13-2011, 06:01 PM
delphi and delco are gonna be the oem brand. i've never had any problems with bosch.

old_master
12-13-2011, 09:30 PM
AC Delco has the absolute fastest reaction time from lean to rich and rich to lean. The faster the reaction time is, the faster the PCM can correct the pulse width to the injectors which keeps fuel mixture closer to the desired mixture. I have found the Bosch sensors reaction time to be acceptable, but if you're looking for the best... AC Delco.

reefgeorge
12-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks Old Master. Delphi is less than half of the price of AC Delco, do you know if they are as good?

Also, what type of wrench/socket do I need? Will the H&D Tools Flex head wrench (FHWO2-22) work?

http://www.tooltopia.com/h-and-d-tools-o2-22.aspx

Thanks.

old_master
12-14-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm not certain if AC Delco and Delphi use the same vendor. There are O2 sockets available at the auto parts stores and they're less expensive, but sometimes clearance can be an issue so the wrench in the link might be a better choice.... never tried one myself.

reefgeorge
12-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Was hoping to save $50 but decided not to risk the heart of the fuel metering loop and went with the AC Delco version. I am sure that I can't go wrong. Will the other 2 sensors be far behind? 181K miles.

Thanks.

old_master
12-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Both of the upstream sensors, (closest to the manifolds) are exposed to the same elements and are usually good for 100,000 miles. When one goes, the other isn't far behind. The downstream sensor, (behind the converter) only monitors catalyst performance, it has nothing to do with fuel control. I usually wait til it sets a DTC, then replace it.

reefgeorge
12-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Sounds like I better do them both (upstream)

old_master
12-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Good idea ;) When the downstream sensor starts to go, it usually sets a DTC P0420, (catalyst efficiency below threshold).

After ~100K miles, the sensors reaction time is slow.... when the PCM runs the monitor for the converter, it "assumes" the sensor reaction time is good... one of the things the PCM looks for during the test is how long it takes for the sensor to react to a given fuel mixture change. If the sensor doesn't react soon enough, the PCM fails the converter and sets the P0420.

reefgeorge
06-16-2012, 04:42 PM
I replaced both upstrean sensors (AC Delco) and cleared the codes.After 3 days I am still codeless and my fuel trims look good (0-4) but the exhaust really smells (no smoke). Any thoughts?

Thanks,

George

danielsatur
06-16-2012, 05:28 PM
It's about the price, wire length, connector, and fuel economy.
Recycle the upstream H02 sensors by using them down stream.

Don't care if it has a Justin bieber rubber stamp, if its cheap enough.
Types: 1,2,3, and 4-wire HO2 sensors.

Caution - Don't forget to use anti seize compound on plugs + sensors.

There's plenty of new/used H20 sensors in the salvage yards.

reefgeorge
06-18-2012, 09:10 AM
As I said, both upstream sensors have been replaced and I chose the AC Delco brand so that is no longer my question.

Codes are cleared and no new codes have been set and fuel trims look good. The issue is that the exhuast smells very strong now. I will get a mileage check in a few days but what can be causing this?

Thanks,

George

Add your comment to this topic!