Page updated on 11-18-2017

for anybody using Ikea showcase


lovegt40
12-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Here in Europe is very common to have one (or some) of IKEA's nice glass showcases.They are cheap and anyway in a good quality.It is very easy to build up, but have some issues not so good for our models display.
Floors are too separate,probably cause meant for bottles and glasses.All the showcase is a little too short and the main door does not fit well and lets a lot of dust enters allover.
For 50 euros we cannot ask more I suppose. :tongue:

So why not invest those dirty 12 euros more and fix it with some extra floors inside?Cutting the bars I noted they are in real steel, so is not possible to weald theme as I wanted at the beginning of all this.I fixed the extra floor pins with expoxy putty for metal,that will resist under pressure of many kilos.Thanks god our models are not heavy stuff,so maybe this work can be an idea for whom having the same problem as I had.

Hope it helps:rofl:
UPEOBbTNUnA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPEOBbTNUnA&feature=player_embedded

Luis Pacheco
12-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Are you sure the extra floor pins with expoxy putty are tough enough to withstand the weight?

lovegt40
12-11-2011, 08:34 AM
yes, i tried some books before and metal putty works really well (note is the epoxy one,not the ordinary modelling metal putty).If u have the possibility to use acetylene wealder and some oxigen surely u can fix theme better, but for modelling purpouses it seems to me perfect.
Also Milliput works perfectly for it,and mantains many kilos of weight forever.

panzer360
12-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Very cool :biggrin:

MidMazar
12-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Looks good, thats my main complaint for a lot of display cases is that they're not dust proof. The seals you made are a nice touch. Thanks for sharing.

I bought an ikea wall hung display and had to cut it shorter so that it would fit in the wall!!

CrateCruncher
12-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Nice video GT,
Thanks for sharing your ingenuity. Here in the states I've been using a new JBWeld product called KwikPlastik. It's a two-part putty like Milliput but much stronger when cured. I use it for high-strength applications on my full-scale cars and it would be perfect for something like this. It's not good for sculpting model parts though.

Also, I notice you used short lengths of rod to secure the new shelves. I'm sure it's fine the way it is but you can make the joint even stronger by using a full length of rod spanning the width of the cabinet to the other corner. That removes the torsion component acting on the joint. You could make it even stronger by filing away a small, rounded notch in the vertical rod with a rat tail file where the horizontal rod will be glued. This will increase the surface area for the bond and provide some added support to the glue in withstanding the relentless pull of gravity over time.

I love your avatar btw, it's hypnotic.

lovegt40
12-19-2011, 04:44 AM
eh eh, thank u guys.
The improve idea was done with the basics to keep the cost as low as possible (12 euro/15 dollars..maybe also less),and remeber all the extra floors are placed only for modelling purpouses,so for very light weight chargings.

At today still works perfect without any disaster,even if probably the biggest issue is the anti dust rubber protecting everyting inside.
Glad u like it ;)

avatar is cool, yep.Thin waist and big dancing boops,always works.No body mention the Swedish chef singing with Beaker down here..LOL :D

Add your comment to this topic!