Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

720 4x4 w. New Timing Chain now Stalls

gone2long
12-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Fellow 720 owners,

My 1979.6 (exact year) Datsun 720 4x4 pickup had absolutely no power upon acceleration, and due to a host of other pressing issues, I had to just let her sit for a few months. When I tried to start her again, the carburetor float was stuck, so I cleaned the float chamber, float and pin, then finally got her started.

She still ran horribly, so me and a buddy of mine opened her up to find a totally shot timing chain, sprockets, guides etc. My buddy (who's much better at such stuff than me) replaced the timing chain etc., and the truck ran much better, with good power on acceleration. However, she still idled a bit rough.

We adjusted the idle to normal rpms, but after warming up, the truck would stall every time it stopped. We then turned up the idle, and now it won't stall, but it races for a good ten minutes or more til its fully warmed up.

Wondering what you guys think the problem might be? My friend thinks the carburetor needs to be rebuilt, but my thought is that, after all that sitting around, there may be carmelized fuel in the jets, and a good cleaning would suffice.

Of course, the normal procedure would be to replace the parts just on GP, but I live in the Philippines and it's virtually impossible to find parts here for my old 720.

What do you guys suggest? Also, any other potential problem that I might be overlooking?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

G2L

zanegrey
12-07-2011, 11:34 AM
make sure the oil pump timing is correct...

gone2long
12-08-2011, 05:41 AM
make sure the oil pump timing is correct...

Zane,

Thanks for ALL of your almost instant responses to my posts.

Not sure I understand the above, but will do a bit more research before I ask another dumb question.

PS - Was it really you who wrote all them books? : )

Best regards to you and yours,

G2L

Add your comment to this topic!