Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

07 Grand Caravan Power Steering Whine

bignoisey
12-06-2011, 10:49 PM
After driving 10+ miles at freeway speed, my 3.8 liter 07 Caravan develops a power steering whine. It has just over 60,000 miles. The whine is most noticible after slowing and turning the wheel right or left just after the freeway ride. After sitting for 30 minutes or more with engine off its quiet again - until the next freeway trip. Lately, its getting louder. I've read similar P/S whine threads which suggest changing the P/S fluid. I will try this, and have a turkey baster to suck it out of the reservoir. But would it be more effective to also drain the fluid from the steering rack which also contains a lot of fluid before refilling the system? Any suggestions on the best replacement fluid to use?

Alphabravo
12-08-2011, 06:10 AM
If the P/S Reservior is like the ones in the 2001-2006, then I suggest replacing it.
They have a screen inside them that you cannot change. The screen gets clogged and starves the pump of fluid, causing it to whine. They same thing happened in my 2003 G.C. No need to drain the fluid, unless it's required scheduled maintainence.

They cost less than $30 from the dealer and are easy to change.

bignoisey
02-16-2012, 01:16 AM
I changed the reservoir, refilled it with ATF+4, and no more whine. It took about 30 minutes, good thing too, it started to rain when I was almost done. Thanks Alphabravo.

Alphabravo
02-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Glad to help. Thanks for posting the result.

Add your comment to this topic!