Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

yet another cobalt steering rattle...

sprint113
12-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Evening all,

After some rather extensive research, I couldn't find any documentation on a rattle I've been having on my 2007 cobalt LT. 92,000 miles...although the problem started around 70,000. A lot of people have had rattling issues, but they usually appear under different circumstances.

The problem is a very noticeable rattle coming from what sounds like the steering column. The wheel doesn't vibrate too much, and there is no play in the wheel at all. This rattle only appears when going straight, as soon as the wheel is turned even slightly, the noise disappears. Also, accelerating seems to make the noise go away too. Overall, the steering feel has been unaffected. Rattle is present at all speeds and does not increase or decrease in relation to speed.

Tires have been balanced two times now, and the dealer replaced the power steering motor about 10,000 miles ago (that had no impact on the rattle). Does this sound like a steering problem, or some issue with the suspension (linkage, etc)? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance!

gmtech1
12-06-2011, 08:18 PM
The rattle you are hearing is probably from the column itself, the only fix I'm aware of is replacing the column, I have done several.

GMCustomerService
12-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Good morning,
If I can be of assistance, either in working with a dealership towards resolving this concern or in looking into warrant/recall information on your vehicle, please send me a private message with more information.

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

Add your comment to this topic!