Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

low fuel,won't start

grandam11
12-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi every-one,
I have a 2000 Grand-am,and when the fuel gets to a quarter tank or below it seems like the fuel pump won't pick-up and start the car (only if left overnight).I can then put 5-7 litres of fuel in and it will start.From other threads it sounds like it might be the pump.Any-one have any ideas.Thanks.

GTP Dad
12-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Welcome to AF!!

There are a couple of possibilities. First, consider that the gauge is wrong and that the light is coming on when the fuel tank is actually empty especially if you add fuel and the car starts. Second, if the car is positioned where the fuel pump is not in contact with the fuel it will not pick up the gas and will not start. Finally. it is possible that the pump is not at the lowest point in the tank and will not pick up the remaining fuel when the light comes on. Not much you can do with any of the above other than keep more fuel in the tank.

Tech II
12-06-2011, 01:13 PM
You shouldn't let the fuel get that low anyways......that pump runs hot......need to keep it covered with fuel, to keep it cool.....it will lengthen the life of your pump, if not damaged by now....

grandam11
12-10-2011, 12:06 AM
It appears the problem is solved.Replaced the fuel pump and all is well.Now i just need to convince the wife not to let the tank get so low. Ya right :evillol:

Tech II
12-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Sag, should post your own thread in the Buick section....

Add your comment to this topic!