Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2 cars and cant use ODB2 Code scanner

comet240
12-05-2011, 11:50 AM
hi i have 2 cars a 97 cav and a 97 sunfire

the cav has the theft system on and will not run anymore i guessing the IPC is burned out i hook the the innova 3130 code scanner and it cant detect any codes so how can i fix that?

now on my 97 i changed the fuel injectors and now the engine revs up and down engine lights on but when i plug the diagnostic scanner in the port it gets no power to turn on i did wat ti said check the fueses and the PCm fuses are fine if i pull them out the engine wont start and the engine light goes out, but put it in engine light back on but yet no power to the DL port so how do i know whats wrong now how do i fix it so i get power to the port?

CINELLImotorsports
12-05-2011, 03:43 PM
hi i have 2 cars a 97 cav and a 97 sunfire

the cav has the theft system on and will not run anymore i guessing the IPC is burned out i hook the the innova 3130 code scanner and it cant detect any codes so how can i fix that?

now on my 97 i changed the fuel injectors and now the engine revs up and down engine lights on but when i plug the diagnostic scanner in the port it gets no power to turn on i did wat ti said check the fueses and the PCm fuses are fine if i pull them out the engine wont start and the engine light goes out, but put it in engine light back on but yet no power to the DL port so how do i know whats wrong now how do i fix it so i get power to the port?

are you using the same scanner on each car? .. the scanner could have took a dump. get your hands on another scanner and see if it works.

comet240
12-05-2011, 04:01 PM
well ya used on both cars and i used it on my 2004 cav works fine and on my 96 caravan

it turns on when i plug in the 97 cav but wont tell me codes for theft mode if its burned out or noting just says now DTC codes

and for the 97 sunfire doesnt come on only when i turn igition on fro the can2obd site talks about how pin 4 is ground and pin 16 is battery power and i dont get power to pin 16 so tommorow gonna try to run wire from battery to pin 16 and hope that powers it

CINELLImotorsports
12-05-2011, 05:47 PM
well ya used on both cars and i used it on my 2004 cav works fine and on my 96 caravan

it turns on when i plug in the 97 cav but wont tell me codes for theft mode if its burned out or noting just says now DTC codes

and for the 97 sunfire doesnt come on only when i turn igition on fro the can2obd site talks about how pin 4 is ground and pin 16 is battery power and i dont get power to pin 16 so tommorow gonna try to run wire from battery to pin 16 and hope that powers it

that pin 16 should def. be fused. let me check alldata for the fuse location

comet240
12-05-2011, 05:54 PM
ok cool ya cuz the fuse for pcm under hood and in car are fine

other then that i just gonna run a wire from back of the dlc so it powers up

comet240
12-05-2011, 06:31 PM
so i put 12 volts to the pin 16 and was able to access the diagnostic had 4 errors and then i cleared it and it started up running at 1500 rpms but once warmed up it now shows

P0507 idle air control system rpm higher then expected

what is that and how do i fix that?

maxwedge
12-05-2011, 07:17 PM
The port is usually powered by the liter fuse on GM cars, the iac is bad or carboned up.

comet240
12-05-2011, 07:33 PM
so i thinking the reving is coming cuz its sucking extra air i took the intake manifold off again and noticed i missing part of gasket so i think thats what the exesive air is coming from like no vac leak

but i guessing i cant use gasket maker so i have to order a new seal cuz this seal has like metal in middle of it, hope it fixes it

just wish it would tell me the problem i having with other car where the theft mode is stuck on

comet240
12-05-2011, 07:36 PM
a car has lot of carbon in it i clean it down but which fuse is the problem then since no power came from the port so what would the problem as the fuse is fine for the PCM where else would there be a fuse but by passing it worked for now

maxwedge
12-06-2011, 07:22 AM
It is not the pcm fuse as I said, look at the cigar/body feed/ courtesy fuse.

comet240
12-06-2011, 09:16 AM
ok ill try that and when you said liter fuse i figured you ment as in littlier fuse from regular ones

not the lighter fuse ill check it today

but will this odb reader tell me if a IPC or BCM is bad its showing no codes and still stuck in anti theft mode

comet240
12-06-2011, 12:59 PM
ok i got it fixed was the manifold seal piece was missing so it was sucking more air

but now about the 97 cav how can i get this scanner to read the codes for the theft system as i still cant get car to run

Add your comment to this topic!