Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power steering hose

Mark1950
12-05-2011, 08:35 AM
A power steering hose needs to be replaced on my 99 Sonoma 2.2L motor. I have three questions – the hose starts at the bottom of the reservoir, travels below the air box where it is clamped to a metal tube then it goes through the frame below the headlight, (where I lose track of it) it then curves around and is attached to the steering gear box (there are two hoses attached and I’m not sure which it is).

Question 1) Is this the high pressure hose or return line?

Question 2) Would it be OK to reroute a hose from the reservoir to the gear and eliminate the seemingly needless winding of the current hose?

Question 3) If I need to replace the whole hose – How do I get to it?

gmtech1
12-05-2011, 12:14 PM
The "needless winding" of pipe is the p/s fluid cooler. If the hose that is leaking is on the underside of the resivoir it is the return hose and is low pressure. It will seperate at the clamp at the cooler. Just replace the original clamp with a standard hose clamp. If the hose that is leaking is threaded into the pump, it is the pressure hose. Three different sections, pressure, cooler and return.

Mark1950
12-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Thank You - It's actually leaking after the clamp because of rust. Now I just need to figure out how to get to it. I lose track of it where it goes under the headlight assembly.

Add your comment to this topic!