Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Engine Dying While Driving

mpipes
12-04-2011, 02:15 AM
I’m having intermittent problem with my 2003 Eclipse GTS dying on the highway. It is an automatic transmission and V6 3.0 L engine….153000 miles. Typically, I’ll be driving about 50-60mph and notice my RPMs falling off rapidly to idle then dying. At times, after a few minutes it will start and run fine for anywhere from 15 minutes to several days. UUsually happens with half a tank of fuel or lesss. Usually, the engine turns over firing, but not catching and continuing to run. It will also start and run very rough at about 200-400 RPM for several seconds and dying…sounding like sputtering or dieseling…not responding to depressing gas throttle. I’ve had it towed to dealers twice, but they can’t find the problem. At first they thought it was the transmission because of the error codes coming up, but the mechanic could clear the codes and they stayed off. The first code was from the cam sensor, but the mechanic has decided the transmission is not causing the problrm. I’ve had several codes come up, but nothing has been found on trouble shooting. Today, an error code for the evaporator came up, but the evaporator was fine. What is really maddening is it will usually run great after sitting for several hours. Fuel system has checked out ok (fuel pimp and fuel filter). Given that it is seemingly giving “false” error codes, could it be the computer module? Any more thoughts?

808drifter
12-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Who checked the fuel system?

BEVER22
12-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Hi
Next time it happens remove the fuel filler cap.
If this corrects the problem check out the fuel tank vent.
Best of luck.

mpipes
12-04-2011, 10:36 AM
The dealer mechanic checked out the fuel system. Fuel pump checked out ok ad did the filter. They also checked for trash/contamination.

Blackcrow64
12-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I agree with Bever22 about trying the gas cap first to see if it corrects the issue. Could be something not venting properly in the tank. If that doesn't fix it, I would start having them check out the EGR system possibly...

You said it threw a code on the CAS. Did they check that out to make sure it wasn't a bad sensor? I could see that as possibly causing the same kind of issue...

What I don't get is how they keep claiming these codes to be false codes. The ECU isn't gonna throw a code unless there really is something wrong with a sensor or part of the system the error is referencing. I'd possibly take it to another shop next time to get a second opinion.

Good luck with it...

mpipes
12-04-2011, 11:43 AM
The dealer is not saying the codes are "false," only that when they check the system, it is fine. Yesterday, the engine service light came on for the evaporater, but it passed all the test. The transmission system codes are still in memory, but are not refreshing in memory. Since the codes appear to be wrong, I'm thinking there may be an intermitient fault in the computer.

Also, this is happening mostly at about half a tank of fuel or lower, but they have really gone over the fuel system thourghly and are positive it is not that. I'll try the filler cap ASAP.

Add your comment to this topic!