Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 S-10 pickup, no brake lights

Huggy Bear
11-30-2011, 10:42 PM
I tried posting but now can't find it. Trying again. My 1991 S-10 pickup has no brake lights. All other lights work fine. Even have a trailer which has the exact same problem. Checked voltage at brake pedal switch (Has 12V) , fuses are all good. HELP:screwy:Did some wire tracing with a meter. Unplugged the "Y" harness in back, where my trailer harness plus in. Checked voltage coming from front in 4-wire harness. With key on and lights turned "ON" i get voltage on one wire.With turn signal activated, i get voltage on another wire. But the dark green wire (Which i'm guessing is the brake wire) gets nothing, when the switch is activated or jumped.
The brake pedal harness is 2 wires. One is dark violet, the other is Pink with black stripe. And it has 12V across it with the key on. Without a skematic, i'm not sure how these 2 intersect with the dark green.

MT-2500
12-01-2011, 10:52 AM
I tried posting but now can't find it. Trying again. My 1991 S-10 pickup has no brake lights. All other lights work fine. Even have a trailer which has the exact same problem. Checked voltage at brake pedal switch (Has 12V) , fuses are all good. HELP:screwy:Did some wire tracing with a meter. Unplugged the "Y" harness in back, where my trailer harness plus in. Checked voltage coming from front in 4-wire harness. With key on and lights turned "ON" i get voltage on one wire.With turn signal activated, i get voltage on another wire. But the dark green wire (Which i'm guessing is the brake wire) gets nothing, when the switch is activated or jumped.
The brake pedal harness is 2 wires. One is dark violet, the other is Pink with black stripe. And it has 12V across it with the key on. Without a skematic, i'm not sure how these 2 intersect with the dark green.

Stop light switch switches 12 volts to turn signal/hazard switch.
Where brake light is switched to left yellow turn signal wire and to right green turn signal wire.
Turn signal off the brake light feeds the green and yellow rear turn signal wires with 12 volts for brake lights.

Make sure brake light power is going into tunn/hazard switch and coming out the rear green and yellow turn signal/brake light combo wires.

Lot of problems in turn/hazrd switch with voltage not going threw it right.
Also make sure hasazard switch is not stuck on.

Get out the old volt meter/test light and check it out there.

Let us know what you find.

Huggy Bear
12-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Stop light switch switches 12 volts to turn signal/hazard switch.
Where brake light is switched to left yellow turn signal wire and to right green turn signal wire.
Turn signal off the brake light feeds the green and yellow rear turn signal wires with 12 volts for brake lights.

Make sure brake light power is going into tunn/hazard switch and coming out the rear green and yellow turn signal/brake light combo wires.

Lot of problems in turn/hazrd switch with voltage not going threw it right.
Also make sure hasazard switch is not stuck on.

Get out the old volt meter/test light and check it out there.
Let us know what you find.
Thanks for the tip on the hazard switch. It was part of the problem. First let me give you a little history on this problem. When i first suspected the brake switch and looked at it, i found only one connector plugged into the switch. ( it was a 2 -wire plug with violet and pink w/ blk stripe.,) As i found out there should also have been a plug with a double orange and a white, plugged in. I tried plugging in both, but got nothing. Leading me to believe that the plug w orange and white wasn't needed. Bottom line i had a bad hazard flasher and a blown fuse (Stop/haz) and a disconnected plug. Can't even imagine how it gets unplugged. It was hard as hell to do on purpose. Thanks again. Found out where the hazard flasher was with this problem (Gotta remove the panel under the steering column)

MT-2500
12-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the tip on the hazard switch. It was part of the problem. First let me give you a little history on this problem. When i first suspected the brake switch and looked at it, i found only one connector plugged into the switch. ( it was a 2 -wire plug with violet and pink w/ blk stripe.,) As i found out there should also have been a plug with a double orange and a white, plugged in. I tried plugging in both, but got nothing. Leading me to believe that the plug w orange and white wasn't needed. Bottom line i had a bad hazard flasher and a blown fuse (Stop/haz) and a disconnected plug. Can't even imagine how it gets unplugged. It was hard as hell to do on purpose. Thanks again. Found out where the hazard flasher was with this problem (Gotta remove the panel under the steering column)

You are welcome and thanks for posting back how it went.

Add your comment to this topic!