96 camry wont start

signspinnert
11-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Hi ya'll.

I have a 96 camry that drove fine and started fine untill it got cold. i let it sit for a few weeks and it wouldnt start. then I got a jump from a friend and it drove and started twice more fine. When I went out to start it 3 days ago it wouldnt. I took the battery in and had a full charge put on it...Now I just went and put it back in car and it wouldnt start. The car has got juice but no turnover at all just "Click" the first time I tried to start it today and now no more clicks, nothing?

Any idea?

signspinnert
11-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Hi ya'll.

I have a 96 camry that drove fine and started fine untill it got cold. i let it sit for a few weeks and it wouldnt start. then I got a jump from a friend and it drove and started twice more fine. When I went out to start it 3 days ago it wouldnt. I took the battery in and had a full charge put on it...Now I just went and put it back in car and it wouldnt start. The car has got juice but no turnover at all just "Click" the first time I tried to start it today and now no more clicks, nothing?

Any idea?

went and messed with it some more and radio and lights dont come on and then i noticed a humming comeing from a relay fuse box right nes=xt to the battery so i disconnectted battery and humming stopped!!!!

signspinnert
11-25-2011, 04:09 PM
went and messed with it some more and radio and lights dont come on and then i noticed a humming comeing from a relay fuse box right nes=xt to the battery so i disconnectted battery and humming stopped!!!!

so i went and started to pull fuses while battery was connected to locate "humming fuse" and i did the fuse is titled "Relay" and I think "Main" I located the part at a store and its 25.00! Have any of you ever located the problem by a humming fuse and replaced and all better?

somick
11-25-2011, 10:44 PM
You need to test your battery.

How many volts does it read?

signspinnert
11-25-2011, 11:25 PM
You need to test your battery.

How many volts does it read?
ill have to take to autzone again to see that/ They bhad just charged it 100%

Mike Gerber
11-26-2011, 01:30 PM
First make sure all battery connections are clean and tight. They really need to be shinny clean.

Next, see if you have an identical relay to the one you feel is defective, from a non critcal area, and switch it with this one and try to start the car as a test. That will tell you if the relay in question is faulty. If the car starts, then you can invest in a new relay.

Third, the 1 click and no crank/start could be something else. Try having someone hold the key in the start position while you go under the hood and tap on the starter with a small wrench or small hammer. If the car turns over/starts, you have identified defective contacts within the starter's solenoid. This is a common problem as Toyota/Denso starters rack up lot's of miles. If this is the case, read THE STARTER CLICKS ONCE BUT DOES NOT TURN THE ENGINE on page 1 of our frequently asked questions.

Mike

signspinnert
11-26-2011, 01:38 PM
First make sure all battery connections are clean and tight. They really need to be shinny clean.

Next, see if you have an identical relay to the one you feel is defective, from a non critcal area, and switch it with this one and try to start the car as a test. That will tell you if the relay in question is faulty. If the car starts, then you can invest in a new relay.

Third, the 1 click and no crank/start could be something else. Try having someone hold the key in the start position while you go under the hood and tap on the starter with a small wrench or small hammer. If the car turns over/starts, you have identified defective contacts within the starter's solenoid. This is a common problem as Toyota/Denso starters rack up lot's of miles. If this is the case, read THE STARTER CLICKS ONCE BUT DOES NOT TURN THE ENGINE on page 1 of our frequently asked questions.

Mike

Excellent.....I did look for the same relay and I only have the one.....I do like the tap the starter advice and will try that........
I guess my goal is for an easy fix as Ive made the mistake of putting over 1300 into a lumina that lasted 3 months before. (Read 98 ltz lumina Hydro locked thread") so im just thinkin if its a 23 dollar relay, cool, if its something I need to trace in the wiring im screwed as thats too much for me..... I dont even know where the starter is? haha Im sure I can find it!

signspinnert
11-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Third, the 1 click and no crank/start could be something else. Try having someone hold the key in the start position while you go under the hood and tap on the starter with a small wrench or small hammer. If the car turns over/starts, you have identified defective contacts within the starter's solenoid.

Mike

haha man! got runnin' after a neighbor tapped the starter while I turned the key.......Learned the difference between the windshield wiper engine and the starter too.....lol Im clueless sometimes!

Thanks alot Mike

Mike Gerber
11-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Glad you isolated the problem to the starter's solenoid contacts. Now read the article I referenced on the first page of our FAQ's. See if it's something you feel capable of doing yourself. Starter removal and replacement isn't too difficult; just remember to disconnect the battery cables before starting this job. Always remove the negative cable first and reattach it last.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!