Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Chevy Tracker 2.0L overheating?

justinplatt
11-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Just recently bought a 1999 Chevy Tracker 2.0L 80k miles 4x4 auto. The previous owner put a permanent weld on the fan clutch to make it a solid running fan. He told me it ran hot at times in the summer and this fixed the problem. I want to make the Tracker mechanically right and install a new working fan clutch. Previous owner installed new radiator and water pump. There are other forums out there with people having these 2.0L Trackers and Vitaras overheating as well. Does anyone know the correct way to fix this problem without making shady modifications. Its seems to be a common problem and could use a professional answer.
Thanks

tonio424
03-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Hi ; This may be hard to believe but I think from past experience your radiator is clogged. I had the very same problem (not same make of car) I went to two rad shop and was told the radiator was fine XX I changed the fan ,no go , Finally I took it upon myself to diismantle the rad( didn't want to spend the money for a new one without being sure) and found it clogged 80% ,clean it re installed it anf No more Problems with overheating. I suggest you buy a good used rad ,or new ,and try it out. Some people don't use antifreeze in their cars???? Hope this helps tonio424.

tonio424
03-13-2015, 10:27 AM
in my previous ans I overloked the fact that the Rad had been changed. Was the replacement new or used??? . Also ck. Thermostat?? todays cars demand correct specks on Rad and Themostats . A compression ck might help some times a small head gasket leak will cause overheating . hope I helped tonio424

Add your comment to this topic!