Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how do i reset the brake light?

blkmonday
11-23-2011, 02:48 PM
i have a 98 dodge full size van. i recently replaced a brake line after it popped. all is goo except i cant get the brake light on the dash to go out. i tried disconnecting the battery but that didnt work.

alloro
11-24-2011, 04:24 AM
There's a rubber cap at one end of the brake line proportioning valve under the coolant reservoir bottle. Press that cap in as far as it will go.

Mopar_Stev
12-03-2011, 07:45 PM
And bleed the brake lines too, else the light will always stay on since the brake pedal goes nearly to the floor.

Since you had replaced one hose, it is smart to change the other side as well. Remember that brake hoses rot from the inside out. Thus, it is very wise to bleed the entire system.

Bleed in this order ...
- right rear
- left rear
- right front
- left front

While bleeding, make sure that the reservoir does not drop beyond half way nor goes empty. his way, no air can get into the loop. A bleeder kit or a two person job works best.

:2cents:

blkmonday
01-08-2012, 12:07 PM
thanks..the system is fine now all bled and ready to go. i found the rubber thing on the proportioning valve. do i remove the rubber thing or is it the rubber thing i push in to reset the light? i pushed on it a little but it didnt move. i didnt want to rip it and it didnt seem like it came off too easy. also do i press it in with ignition on or does it not make a difference?

alloro
01-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Leave the rubber cap on and yes that's what you press, and the ignition on or off doesn't matter.

Mopar_Stev
01-08-2012, 11:19 PM
If the button press don't work, check the rear self-adjusters to make sure those didn't freeze up causing the pedal to travel too far causing the dash break light to stay on. Re-adjust them and then press the rubber cap again.

Add your comment to this topic!