2003 Toyota Camry LE 4-cylinder brake problem

Paola
11-22-2011, 06:24 PM
I have a 2003 Toyota Camry LE 4-cylinder sedan. I've had the front brake rotors machined (due to warping). I've had the rear brake drums resurfaced. The problem still exists. I don't know when it's going to happen. So, all I can do is explain what happens when the problem occurs. (1) I press the brake to stop (at a traffic light or stop sign). Fast and slow speeds make no difference. (2) About halfway into the brake press, there is pedal feedback/vibration and a noise. The break pedal feels like it's going through the motions of what an interlocking clock gear looks like as it moves to keep time. There is also a groaning/creaking noise and it seems as though the car lurches forward. (3) By the time the brake is pressed down completely, it feels like braking control has been regained. Also, no brake indicator light goes on. Does this make any sense? Please bear with me as I'm no car expert. Thanks.

Mike Gerber
11-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Did you have this problem before you had the front rotors machined and the rear drums resurfaced? If not, I would take the car back to whoever did the work tell them about the problem.

Mike

Paola
11-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Did you have this problem before you had the front rotors machined and the rear drums resurfaced? If not, I would take the car back to whoever did the work tell them about the problem.

Mike

Yes, I did have this problem before the front brake rotors were machined and the rear brake drums were resurfaced. I did take the car back to the dealer the following day. After 5 hours and no status update, I called the dealership and left a message. They called back and spoke with my husband. The dealership said that they did a test drive in which they drove the car 2 to 4 miles and did not experience the brake problem. They told my husband that we could either pick up the car or leave it with them for another day. He chose to leave it with them. The following day, they did a test drive in which they drove the car 10 to 15 miles and they experienced the brake problem! Apparently, the dealership's computer diagnostic tools did not notice that the brake problem was still happening. So, the dealership had to do a visual inspection. They found that the sensor wiring harness was completely corroded. They had to courier the part in since they didn't have it in stock. I got my car back today and, so far, the issue seems to be resolved.

Add your comment to this topic!