Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

P0336 crankshaft sensor code issues

hawkeye260
11-22-2011, 12:03 PM
I have a 98 5.7L chevy that shuts off while driving down the road. will not start unless I wait 5-10 minutes. code P0336 crankshaft position sensor "A" circuit Range/Performance. I have amateur mechanical abilities such as changing brakes, fuel pump, alternators and such. Wondering if this is something worth tackling or take to garage. I have read where there is no crankshaft sensor that it is in the distributor but also found online auto parts dealer selling one with 8th digit Vin "R" which is mine. Any ideas on a fix? It does seem to miss while accelerating at times. thanks

777stickman
11-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Welcome to AF: I'll try to answer your ?'s as best I can.

#1. Yes there is a Crank Position Sensor (CKP). It is located on the lower pass side of the timing chain cover on the front of the motor.

#2. The sensor in the dist is the Cam Position Sensor (CMP).

#3. P0336 is all about the CKP and has 18 diagnostic steps. Most have to deal with checking wiring and connections making sure there are no broken or shorted wires and all connections are tight and secure. Next check that the CKP is tight and secure in the timing chain cover.

#4. If it comes down to replacing the CKP you will need to do a "CKP Variation Relearn" which needs a high end scan tool in the hands of a competent technician.

Hope this helps you.

Add your comment to this topic!