Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Installed new headlight switch, now no turn signals

kozykids
11-21-2011, 05:54 AM
Just bought a used 2003 Dodge Neon SXT for my daughter. The car didn't pass inspection because the fog lights didn't turn off unless I turned the headlight switch completely off. I ordered a new switch w/ fog light from Napa, disconnected the negative cable, removed switch assembly, removed the wiper switch and installed on new headlight switch hooked up harnesses and reinstalled. I was so happy to find the fog lights now turned off.....until I took the car for a ride and found my turn signals and hazards not working......

Repeated the disassembly process making sure harness was completely seated, it was, took assembly back out, looked over the harness, all appeared good, hooked up just the old headlight switch (left windshield wiper switch on the assembly, did not plug in) and hazards now flashed but no turn signal. Reinstalled the new one again still no turn or hazards....thoroughly aggravated I walked away at this point. Am I missing something? The turn signal fuse is the same as the power mirrors, mirrors are working.

At this point I was thoroughly aggravated, called it a night and had a Corona.

aleekat
11-21-2011, 10:46 AM
You could have gotten a bad switch out of the box.

kozykids
11-21-2011, 01:19 PM
I replaced the relay, still nothing, found a second fuse for it in the fuse block in the engine, that fuse is blown, shorting out somewhere.

kozykids
11-26-2011, 06:47 AM
You were correct, got a switch from Dodge and all is good, the one from Napa was shorting out.

ricebike
01-28-2012, 08:05 PM
this site should have a smilely like the following pic:

http://www.foneguru.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/problem-solved.png

nice guess that OP had a defective part from the local store

Add your comment to this topic!