Sea Foam And The Windstar

DontCome2MyHouse
11-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Would I see any benefit by adding Sea Foam through the vacuum line of my 2003 Windstar or would it do more harm than good?

"To clean carbon and varnish deposits from the tops of cylinders and the backs of intake valves, add 1 oz. Sea Foam® to each gallon of fuel. Sea Foam® will slowly re-liquefy the varnish and gum deposits that hold carbon together."

"Locate a vacuum line that you are certain DISTRIBUTES EVENLY TO ALL CYLINDERS. On many vehicles the easiest option is taking the vacuum line from your brake booster PCV."

Where would the vacuum line they are speaking of be located on the Windstar?

How about adding it to the crankcase prior to an oil change? Wouldn't this raise the oil level ABOVE the fill line? Dangerous for a short distance?

"To clean oil rings and lifters, add 1˝ oz. Sea Foam® to each quart of oil. Sea Foam® will slowly re-liquefy the old oil varnish residue that builds up on lifters and rings and prevents them from functioning normally. This process can be done as part of a pre service cleaning by adding the Sea Foam® to the oil at least 30 miles before the next oil change interval. OR it can be done as a preventative maintenance process without changing the oil. You can leave Sea Foam® in the oil indefinitely as long as the oil is clean."

uzzo2
11-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Would I see any benefit by adding Sea Foam through the vacuum line of my 2003 Windstar or would it do more harm than good?

"To clean carbon and varnish deposits from the tops of cylinders and the backs of intake valves, add 1 oz. Sea Foam® to each gallon of fuel. Sea Foam® will slowly re-liquefy the varnish and gum deposits that hold carbon together."

"Locate a vacuum line that you are certain DISTRIBUTES EVENLY TO ALL CYLINDERS. On many vehicles the easiest option is taking the vacuum line from your brake booster PCV."

Where would the vacuum line they are speaking of be located on the Windstar?

How about adding it to the crankcase prior to an oil change? Wouldn't this raise the oil level ABOVE the fill line? Dangerous for a short distance?

"To clean oil rings and lifters, add 1˝ oz. Sea Foam® to each quart of oil. Sea Foam® will slowly re-liquefy the old oil varnish residue that builds up on lifters and rings and prevents them from functioning normally. This process can be done as part of a pre service cleaning by adding the Sea Foam® to the oil at least 30 miles before the next oil change interval. OR it can be done as a preventative maintenance process without changing the oil. You can leave Sea Foam® in the oil indefinitely as long as the oil is clean."
What kind of problems are you having that you think you need this? I use berrymans b-12 chemtool in the fuel tank every once in a while. If you're not having any specific problems, I would stay away from additives, JMHO. If you find gas without ethanol, that's a plus. If the gas has ethanol, just don't let it sit for a long period of time without driving it.

DontCome2MyHouse
11-21-2011, 10:14 PM
What kind of problems are you having that you think you need this? I use berrymans b-12 chemtool in the fuel tank every once in a while. If you're not having any specific problems, I would stay away from additives, JMHO. If you find gas without ethanol, that's a plus. If the gas has ethanol, just don't let it sit for a long period of time without driving it.

I don't have any problems yet. I would use it as preventative maintenance. I was given the van and I don't know too much about how well it was taken care of. It has about 83K miles on it.

This is a third car for my family. I'm probably going to drive it to work once a week (is once a week good?) just so it doesn't sit too long. I just filled it up all the way and added STA-BIL fuel stabilizer to keep the fuel fresh.

uzzo2
11-21-2011, 10:22 PM
I don't have any problems yet. I would use it as preventative maintenance. I was given the van and I don't know too much about how well it was taken care of. It has about 83K miles on it.

This is a third car for my family. I'm probably going to drive it to work once a week (is once a week good?) just so it doesn't sit too long. I just filled it up all the way and added STA-BIL fuel stabilizer to keep the fuel fresh.

Once a week should be fine, they make additives for ethanol blended fuels. I really don't know of any of them, I just make sure that they don't sit for too long. If you want a definitive picture of what kind of shape the engine is in. Do a compression test, also wouldn't hurt to take an oil sample and send it to a lab. Either or both of those should give you a pretty good idea of the mechanical shape of the engine.

Add your comment to this topic!